Sign in to follow this  
Pau1

Supercharging the SuperCoupe (Chris's thread!!)

Looks V interesting.. tho after import and VAt, the kit will be around the 3K mark if im correct!! :o

Does anyone know what hte deal is with the software? Is it a replacement ECU or piggy back type thing... or is it possible to get fit the Scharger and then get a remap by some one like AmD?

Hi Andy, I'm a sales rep, I count myself as being reasonably clever(like yourself) and like technical things as they keep my interest, I may well fit a boost gauge but when we put one one yours it wasn.t very exciting, did very little under 4000rpm then went up to about 7psi that's under 1/2bar (14.7psi) so there is still plenty you can extract from your set-up mate, does that make you happy? :D

Steve B,

The software is an algorithm encoded 3D vector matrix map from GIAC(Garrett Intergrated Automotive Corp.) and uses a piggy back socket.

The whole induction system is changed from negative to positive pressure so any sensors etc will register errors and the car will not run, I know I tried it(just for fun) and it didn't go.

AMD would, I expect be able to do a chip however Michael (the one with the squeaky voice) at Jabbasport has the map there for this particular conversion and that's what Eprom is in Andy's ECU at the moment and works well, right Andy!

Yes Steve you are quite right on price plus £1000 for fitting then extras, Andy doesn't know how much of a bargain he's got but i think it might be sinking in. lol :lol:

Cheers Chris,

Sounds like Andy did get a bargin!! Nice one..

So how come its £1000 for fitting? Could it not be done DIY and then driven to the appropriate place for a custom remap to replace the piggy back? Or is there more to it than just bolting on and plugging in...

Thanx for you ongoin help!!

hmmnn.....they do look very nice!

Andy it's a real shame that Paul couldn't find the rolling road print-out 'cos it did show the plot at 297bhp!! When we went down to Bruntingthorpe he showed the editor of PVW mag the print out and he was impressed, so it is down on power!

We changed the fuel filter near the tank just before you got it and put those expensive Platinum plugs in so it would remain reliable so don't waste money changing those just yep and the plugs are good for 40k miles but i wouldn't leave them that long before checking them.

Andy do me a favour and have a look at the fpr, the part No. stamped on it should be: 0280 160 575 and should say 4.0bar if not then i would say change it.

Split this out from the in-pro thread - please keep supercharging stuff in here now pls

Posted by JoeM in another thread

Ive been reading a bit about this on vortex as well, the fitting sounds fairly easy, is this basically what needs done or am i missing something.

1. Remove air intake pipes, air box, maf.

2. Lengthen maf wires.

3. Release tension on serpentine belt.

4. Jack car up, remove wheel arch liner.

5. Remove belt and tensioner.

6. Relocate Carbon Canistor.

7. Install charger and new intake pipes, filter, maf.

8. Tap sump and install oil feed.

9. Make sure everythings put back together.

10. Swap Chip

Go have fun.

I must be missing something if places are charging about a grand for fitting?

Well a good nitrous system will cost about £550 and a company will charge you £1200 for the kit & fitting (Turbo-Packs in Peterlee) Taking liberties!!

! hour will fit it so where are they getting that price from? :?

VR6, yip your quite right, it is pretty straight forward and companies rely upon the black magic notion that it is so special and rare that it has to be done by a professional, but any capable person should be able to & enjoy fitting the kit.

The Eprom is maybe the most delicate part of the fitting and also is static sensitive so be careful, but yeah go for it and save £1000 plus gain the satisfaction of knowing a little black-magic yourself!

Chris

Chris,

1) I locked the other thread and split all of the supercharging content out of the in-pro thread into here.

2) I quoted JoeM's question from your new thread into this one, above. (which you thought I had asked - was actually Joe and I was just copying his questions here).

3) Would there be any chance of the company that supplies the charger kit marking the package so as to not stand out to custom's officials? Marked for test/evaluation purposes only and and a notional value? Turn2 do this and mark packages at about $25 .... but I suppose the charger kit would weigh far too much too be worth under the customs value - could always mark the contents as "authentic US bricks"!!

4) Think I might start saving the pennies for this conversion.......by the time I get enough together, I might have found a decent insurance company (decent being one that wouldn't mind a charger!).

5) What do your insurance company think of you?? :D .... how much do you pay, if you don't mind me asking?

Oh Hi Tom, just put 2+2 together there (msm) the problem is that the kit is over 20kg plus customs have millions of prices against serial nimbers so they know the price without asking but i do take your point. The best option is if a group buy was in force then i could negotiate a very much better price even just on 3 kits. I had orders for 6 kits when ordering mine so the single duty & carriage was split + a good discount was realised!

My insurance went fron £640 to £964 bugger! Admiral but wouldn't deal with them again after the hassle I & others have had with them!

What's your thoughts, can I hear cogs turning?

catch me on msn & i'll tell you more in a conversation, do you have a mic?

Just cogs at the moment :)

Yeah I'll catch you on MSN later (I've got a mic) - off out shortly.

i thought the weight of the vr bonnett was way to heavy for those mk3 lifters??? how's yours holding up ok?

Darren,

They are great, you lift it maybe 2/3 up and it takes it all the way it's self and much higher than the strut allows and stays strong against wind pushing on it and looks good!

That's all good news Chris. Can I be a pain and ask you to measure the distance from the trailing edge of the bonnet to the drill hole? It's purely because you mentioned the double skin and I don't want to feck it up!! What size hole? 6mm?

Are there any black lifters available?

Cheers

Kev

94 VR6

will soon when i get it back from the garage next week but can't right now, but just look for the spot welds that hold the skind together.

Can't remember but when you get the kit, thread a die onto the stub that comes with it and drill one sise down, thats what i dod, 7mm rings a bell!!

The fixing is solid and doesn't move or flex, I'd do it for you if you were closer :-)

I'll post a few pics when the car comes back ok?

My god, i remember when i was rare and there was only me Andy and Guy whom had chargers, how things have changed but it was good reading through this old thread for nostalgia.

Chris