oneohtwo

Crankshaft Position Sensor/Engine Speed Sensor

Does anyone know why there are different codes for a Crankshaft Position Sensor AND an Engine Speed Sensor on VAG-COM? I understood from reading about here they were the same thing, so why are they both listed under different codes? However, a quick look at the list of fault codes here http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=48469 shows this:

513 P0506 Engine Speed Sensor - G28 - Idle RPM Too Low

513 P0507 Engine Speed Sensor - G28 - Idle RPM Too High

513 Engine Speed Sensor - G28 - Signal Malfunction

514 P0336 Crankshaft Position Sensor - Erratic Signal - G4

514 Crankshaft Position Sensor - G4

Also could someone confirm whether, given my engine is running and not exhibiting any misfires that might suggest an intermittent fault, the Crankshaft Position Sensor/Engine Speed Sensor is working as it should and there is no other way it could be faulty? The garage flagged up a fault code with it, but didn't specify which or whether they performed it with the ignition off (which is what I am thinking likely from reading threads on here) so I am just trying to get to the bottom of it. Thanks!

Edited by oneohtwo

Wow that took some reading!

Don't bother giving someone £50 to read codes, get a £5 cable from ebay and download vcds software from rosstech and you can read and reset the codes yourself. Check the vagcom sticky post for details.

I've had a crank sensor fault that has caused rough running and loss of power. It had put the ecu into limp home mode. For me it turned out to be the connector that had simply got water in it, dried it out with a hairdryer and sprayed wd40 in it just to be sure and it's been fine ever since.

In short, if it's running fine don't replace stuff.

Could have been an old fault code putting it into limp home mode, it's possible the garage cleared the codes hence why the problem disappeared.

Edited by GusPW

Thanks for your advice, and taking the time to read my post! In hindsight I probably could have just posted the final question about the Crankshaft Sensor... might edit that now.

Think what you suggest is probably the best immediate course of action, was definitely loathe to pay out £50 just for them to do it again. Wasn't sure what the situation was with those cheap cables, whether they were a bit dodgy or not, but I guess for a fiver there's not much risk. Was also unsure whether VCDS-Lite showed all the codes, but I'll give it ago and then see where we are!

Edited by oneohtwo