stuarttaylor37

Spark plugs/oil filter help

Hi

I fitted new plugs and leads to try and cure a misfire. It worked, two of the old plugs were oiled up, I've run the new ones for 200 miles and whipped them out again to check, does this look like the right colour?

jan14002.jpg

Changed the oil and filter today too, do you reckon this is the date it was made the bottom of the old one? If so thats a heck of a service interval!

jan14006.jpg

I'm it was the metal one with the one way valve

jan14005.jpg

I've fitted a genuine VW (Hengst) part no 021-115-562-A which the spares guy at the dealership checked against my reg no as being the correct one but it looks like its just a simpler plastic design with no one way valve. I notice that some previous posts on the subject insist that you fit the valved one. What does the one way valve do and what is the likely consequence of me running this one?

I only intend to leave it in for a 1000 miles or so as I wanted to flush the engine as its been standing for a long time and the oil was sticky black and smelt nasty.

Any comments welcome

Edited by stuarttaylor37

If the metal one came out of the oil filter housing then only a metal one would fit unless for some reason tey have switched to plastic. Any pics of the plastic one (new one)?

No photos of the new one as I've fitted it.It seemed to fit Ok-it clipped into place on some plastic tabs in the bottom of the housing. It looked a lot simpler though you could look straight through the middle of it with no sign of any valve

That part number should have given you the metal one. Im suprised that the filter fitted as I was under the impression they wernt interchangeable as there are two types of plastic filter attachments one for the metal and one for plastic filter

Ok

I wonder if I've cocked it up then.......I'm pretty new to this,this was the first oil/filter change I've ever done.

Would I be better off just ordering one of those Mahle ox 125 and fitting that then?

Stu, which 2 plugs were oiled up? Probably worth using some thicker oil next time such as 10w50.That plug looks a little oily already :/

The non return valve prevents oil from the top end of the engine ( oil feeds for cam / followers / chains / tensioners) returning to the sump when the engine is turned off so that the oil pressure to them when cranking is almost instantaneous.

Stu, which 2 plugs were oiled up? Probably worth using some thicker oil next time such as 10w50.That plug looks a little oily already :/

It was the middle two Andy

The non return valve prevents oil from the top end of the engine ( oil feeds for cam / followers / chains / tensioners) returning to the sump when the engine is turned off so that the oil pressure to them when cranking is almost instantaneous.

When I started it with the old oil filter in it sounded clattery for the first 2-3 seconds when started from cold but ok when warm.

That plug looks ok to me - maybe running slightly hot. The oil is only on the threads, so perhaps some spillage when filling the sump or a weeping cam cover gasket??

It's no 1 and No 6 that usually get oily first as the bores eventually go oval. Have a look at those.

Best wishes

RB

That plug looks ok to me - maybe running slightly hot. The oil is only on the threads, so perhaps some spillage when filling the sump or a weeping cam cover gasket??

It's no 1 and No 6 that usually get oily first as the bores eventually go oval. Have a look at those.

Best wishes

RB

Cheers for the replies, all six of the plugs were the same as the one in the pic.

I went to pour the old oil in to a container to go to the tip, now its cooled down its black and really thick and there is some horrible thick sludge in the bottom of the bowl. I wonder if that is a date stamp on the filter meaning it was last changed about 10 years ago- Worrying! As I said I'm going to change it again after a 1000 miles and replace with one of those Mahle ox 125 filters with the one way valve. The engine does feel smoother but I'm sure its psychological