Storm Warning

VR6 Gearbox

Hello,

I've got one that I'm just about to split from an engine that I've sold. It's in good condition and I drove the car back from London with no issues.

I'm in Derby, postcode DE56 2JQ and would like £100 collected for it if you're interested.

Thanks

Tom

I have one in Kings Lynn, Norfolk if you don't have the one from Purple Tom (he's closer than me), no issues with mine either - came from my own car,will end up being a 'fleabay punt' at some point if no one on here has it when I take it out lol.

My car I'm breaking has 212,000 miles - I challenge anyone to top that lol. Gearbox working fine, no crunches, all smooth. Would have thought someone would have a lower mileage one than mine although I don't know if mine has ever been replaced/overhauled?

Mine had 135k on it when removed from the car which I'm inclined to believe to be genuine due to the history etc that was with the vehicle.

Cheers

Tom

Its just to keep mine going a bit bit longer in semi retirement now the new steed has arrived to share duties, just buys some while I decide what to to do. Purple Tom, I will take your thanks

And thank you larceny fink for the offer.

Is a chap on ebay that advertises rebuilt VR6 gearboxes. Was £495 last time i noticed it.

I was thinking of going down that route when my engine is rebuilt.

That's not a bad price that Jim for a gearbox rebuild off Ebay.

I had mine over hauled in late 2009 as 1st and 2nd synchro's were warn mainly the second one,

so thought I'd have the whole gearbox over hauled,

it cost me just over £600.00

Had it done at Gearlink Ltd over in Salisbury.

Si

I am currently running one of those eBay recon boxes.... Changed it about 10k ago and it's now worse than what I removed.

They change 1st and 2nd syncros and possibly a bearing? 5th gear came loose after a couple of 1000 miles. I think they are still pot luck as often the source and quality on road is unknown and most inspection is visual. 6mth warranty at end of day and a fraction of a rebuilt box with new gears. Not saying don't do it, just be aware. I found the worst part was the cost of changing not the part itself. Wonder what the 600 rebuild covers?

is it one of the rebuilt gearboxes from that seller on ebay - in West Midlands - that you have presently? My gearbox gone on my Mk2 Golf 16v and was thinking of using him to get an exchange unit, same price as Corrado gearbox. May think otherwise now if they don't last long, having said that it will take me a few years to rack up 10k in that thing.

I am currently running one of those eBay recon boxes.... Changed it about 10k ago and it's now worse than what I removed.

They change 1st and 2nd syncros and possibly a bearing? 5th gear came loose after a couple of 1000 miles. I think they are still pot luck as often the source and quality on road is unknown and most inspection is visual. 6mth warranty at end of day and a fraction of a rebuilt box with new gears. Not saying don't do it, just be aware. I found the worst part was the cost of changing not the part itself. Wonder what the 600 rebuild covers?

Hello Storm,

mine had a full complete rebuild of the gearbox,

replaced all bearings, seals, all synchro's replaced,

including any warn / damaged gears.

I've never had a problem with mine since the overhaul.

I even forgot to remove the reverse switch and the VSS,

when I dropped the gearbox off to them.

When I collected it both these sensors / switches were intact and still work to this day,

plus the box had been sprayed silver so looked brand new.

According to their invoice (Gearlink Ltd)

Their warranty on a full rebuild of a gearbox is 12 months or 18,000 miles, which ever occurs first.

I used the oil that they said to use just to stay on the right side of the warranty,

which in my case was for the full 12 months,

then after that I changed the oil out for semi synthetic or something like.

But like I say mine has been fine since the overhaul.

Cost me £621.00 for the full rebuild / overhaul,

but like I say this was back in Oct of 2009

so the cost might have gone up since then ?

Since the rebuild I've done about 14,000 miles,

and had no problems.

This is the warranty as stated on my invoice from Gearlink Ltd,

word for word:

WARRANTY

ALL GOODS REMAIN THE PROPERTY OF GEARLINK LTD UNTIL PAID FOR IN FULL. E & OE.

CONDITIONS OF SALE:-

THIS GEARBOX IS GUARANTEED FOR A PERIOD OF 12 MONTHS / 18,000 MILES, WHICH EVER IS SOONER

(APPLICABLE ONLY TO FULLY RECONDITIONED UNITS).

THE CORRECT QUANTITY AND GRADE OF OIL MUST BE USED,

FAILURE TO DO SO INVALIDATED THE GUARANTEE.

WE WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY VEHICLE RECOVERY CHARGES SHOULD A FAULT OCCUR IN THE GEARBOX,

DURING THE GUARANTEED PERIOD.

WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO INSPECT / TEST THE GEARBOX "IN SITU" IF A FAULT OCCURS.

THE GUARANTEE WILL BE INVALIDATED IF DAMAGE IS CAUSED BY ALLIED PARTS,

E.G FAULTY PROPSHAFT, SPIGOT BEARING ECT. FAILURE TO PROVIDE MILEAGE & REGISTRATION NUMBER,

WITHIN 7 DAYS INVALIDATES THIS GUARANTEE.

VALID IN THE UK ONLY.

Hope this helps.

Si

£621 Looks like a better deal IMO, tempted myself. I'm not saying don't get the ebay one, just that gets what you pay for, and a bit of lucky dip.

Yeah if in doubt then don't go for the Ebay one, as there could be problems by the sounds of it.

Here's the details to that company that I used back in 2009

Gearlink Ltd

Units 19 & 20

Whaddon Business Park,

Whaddon,

Salisbury,

Wiltshire,

SP5 3HF

Tel: 01722 711444

[email protected]

Link:

http://www.gearlink.co.uk/findus.htm