Sign in to follow this  
Chris VR6nos

Supercharge your VR6, look inside for details

The Supercharging the super coupe thread has been very popular and has one of the highest replies on the board at the moment so obviously there is a lot of interest in this modification, which leads me to suggest that if there would be enough interest from you to create a group buy to bring the price into realistic budgets.

Vortech are the most reputed manufacturer for centrifugal superchargers and are renound as being 'Bullet-Proof' and ultimately reliable.

Andy (C6 SVR) has an early kit and is astounded with the power (ask him, Hope you don't mind mate). His kit was £4500 fitted although he was extremely fortunate and bought the car with all of the work done, good one Andy!

Bear in mind that the retail price for the kit is around £3,100 all-in from VF engineering. If a group-buy with about 3-5 people was put together, the cost could be brought down to just over £2,000. Would you be interested in the kit at this price?

More details on price & kit spec will follow soon, please take time to express your interest and post questions either in here or the Supercharging the super coupe topic.

Well people should be aware that supercharging your Corrado isnt necessarily bullet proof.. all of the people I know of in the community with superchargers have experienced problems in one way or another.

Still I can only imagine its a good trade off for the devastating performance that a supercharger must bring to the VR6.. next club meet, I wouldn't mind going out in one to see what its like! :)

I believe mostly that the problems arose using the Z-engineering charger that has been discontinued for that reason & the same company have adopted the Vortech one for that very reason!

Good filtration is essential and this can cause failures but that is upto the care of the owner!

Direct experience with this Vortech charger has shown it to be capable of taking what you can throw at it :D

Im definately interested in supercharging but dont think it will be an option for me till next year as ive just bought my vr6 and have yet to get it on the road (need to sell my 16v first). I do have some more questions though.

The £3100 kit, is that for stage 1 or 2, if 1 how much extra for the stage 2?

How do the standard gearbox and clutch cope?

I think one of the main issues of the Z-Engineering kit was stalling, how is it with the vortech kit? Is that why the maf is in a different location?

Joe, the stageI kit is that price at retail but hope you can sell your car so you can get a cracking price for the kit and leave enough to go for stage II and still have cash spare from £3000.

Chris VR6nos, I would be interested as I am now beginning Project VR6,dependent on price of course. 8) :) :)

Hi Too Hot,

Good to hear of your interest, the first post kinda says it all really, just need to get some serious parties that have the funding to go for it! It transformes the drive & enjoyment of the car and can say that many people spend much more for much less gain plus if you drive it nicely the supercharger will help bring better mpg too!!

Only a part of the kit is pictured above and is very comprehensive in total.

All good :lol: :lol:

Fancy buying some DVDs?

Hows the sale going Tom? much saved up towards your charger fund m8? :D

Hi Chris,

Is the vortech charger easily fitted in comparison to what the z-engineering is like?

Dan,

The Vortech is a bit more involved than the Z-charger but is a better and more comprehensive kit altogether, one main difference is that the Vortech uses an oil feed from the engines pump so a 'T'off is needed to deliver the oil feed then you have to drill, peen and tap the sump, the punch and tap are supplied with the kit so there are no mistakes!

A re-circ dump valve is incorporated to balance the pressure and not damage the MAF meter which was a problem with the Z kit.

The Z kit was good in that it installed with only 5bolts and a belt but was limited in power terms and slipped although the stageII development reduced this.

No is the answer but the benefits are far better and the result is more satisfying and reliable!

Be a :evil: dig deep and lets get some kits on our cars and make them even more special :lol:

(Thanx to Paul letting me use his pc)

Regards Chris.

Fancy buying some DVDs?

Hows the sale going Tom? much saved up towards your charger fund m8? :D

:lol:

You may mock! hehe.........when i get the whole lot sold, I should have between £1,000 and £1,200! So you can laugh! :)

Going really well actually sold about a quarter of the collection in one day.

Nigel (G60Jet) was mentioning that supercharging without upgrading to forged pistons can be dangerous. Now, obviously this is down to the heat generated by the extra induction, but is it a necessary mod for stage 1? Obviously it would be best but can it wait until stage 2?

Is the Z Engineering blower the one that has ceramic (oil less) bearings? Never was overly convinced by that to be honest. I would guess you would need to drop the sump to tap the thread in order to avoid getting swarf in the oil?

Something else worth considering is EIP Tuning's Stage 1 turbo kit, which produces 330hp and comes in at £3,166. Same kind of deal really, 8 hour fitment plus setting up and no block internals to be done. Virtually zero lag too, apparently.

http://www.eiptuning.com/vr6turbo/stage1vr6turbo.html

Either option sounds good but 3 grand! In a couple of years time the kit will be worth more than the car! Oh the joy (and expense) of modding!!

Cheers

Kev

94 VR6

Kev,

I had a 47min conversation to dwane at EIP(Technical support) and forced induction was the topic his VR6 Golf runs 680bhp at the wheels but he uses forged pistons good for 1000bhp & Titanium & Chromolibdinium peened rods, it's also rebored to over 3.1L and uses 50bhp jets of nitrous that will yeald around 100bhp output and lots more trickery but with a price tag of over £18,000 you'd expext this result, oh I forgot the ultra-lite flywheel & thier own hardened gearset 6speed box. He said my setup is really good and was surprisingly cheap for all i got, but he did try selling me a turbo conversion! :lol:

Dwane said the standard pistons are good & reliable at around 300bhp so with me using standard pistons at the moment & the Nitrous, I'm taking the engine in my own hands! :twisted:

The turbo lag is very present, don't be fooled, a supercharger has NONE!

All Dragsters use S/chargers on the strip for that reason and some are over 1,400bhp & more. think they might use forged pistons! lol :lol:

I can get a good price on 1000bhp forged items if your interested in some?

Hmm, I thought there might be more to it than their adverts suggest although 1000bhp is silly. I bet the engine doesn't last especially long, despite the exotic upgrades! Like you say, the drag engines kick out mental power but are only built for one race! They say if it lasts two races, they haven't got the most out of it!!

Have you seen the 680bhp video clip on the rollers? It spools up to max rpm in a couple of seconds! Mad!

Doesn't the Vortech introduce pinking then, due to the absence of an intercooler? I know 8 odd psi isn't immense but it's enough to heat the air up? I've seen several SC conversions that make the engine pink, but they probably had the Z engineering one!

All interesting stuff but I don't have the readies at the moment :(

Cheers

Kev

Kev,

The Vortech is a centrifugal compressor and flings the air out to the edges and has the lowest heating rates of all.

The software controlls the timing and thus the detonation, so no probs but water injection is a further safety opyion if going to hi boosts.

The Z-charger has been discontinued for many reasons.

One reason the EIP turbo spins up so quickly is 'cos the Nos doubles the outlet gas volume and gives the turbo a fast spin up.

Nitrous, the way forward!

Mine is great and a good entry level kit is about £450

Might have just been a temporary server or browser problem.

Chris, once again you a proving to be a veritable fountain of knowledge with all things blown!! Nice to have a blower 'techie' to hand for advice :lol:

I had an Aquamist (ERL) water/methanol injection kit on my Golf 16V Turbo and found it to be hideously unreliable. The pumps kept burning out. I've seen they've added a flow detector to their recent kits, which you can link up to an LED on the dash, so you know it's working. When it was working, it was awesome, after an hour's hard driving, the inlet manifold was stone cold but the turbo was cherry red! I used a 9L washer bottle from a headlight washer equipped Golf, so never ran out of water/methanol! Since methanol is the key ingredient of screenwash, you could also use it for removing bugs and road grime too :lol:

So what's the score with NOS then? I thought it was illegal for road use? Doesn't the gas bottle drain quickly and aren't refiller's hard to find? Just some of the things I've heard.....

Cheers

Kev

A good water injectoin system for less than the Aquamist system

Refillers are becoming more wide spread so good news there.

Nitrous is not illegal on a road car but you are required to display a sign that informs that you are carrying a pressurised cannister. £40 will fill an 11lb bottle that takes me a month to use and it got used a lot!

Water injection

http://www.noswizard.com/graphics/water ... system.jpg

Car nitrous systen

http://www.noswizard.com/graphics/carnitroussystem.jpg

OK, just refining the NOS law a bit, I thought it was illegal to discharge NOS on public highways, in official blurb? At the end of the day, how would the rozzas know you're using it anyway, apart from an insane burst of acceleration?!!

Kev

Exactly!

but if you are sensible you will be fine, act like an idiot and you'll get into trouble even without Nitrous!

Have you checked out my topic in the Parts for sale section about Filter kits>?

Have a look and give some feed back Kev.

OK, just refining the NOS law a bit, I thought it was illegal to discharge NOS on public highways, in official blurb? At the end of the day, how would the rozzas know you're using it anyway, apart from an insane burst of acceleration?!!

Kev

I am sure I have read that, yes it is illegal to actually use NOS on the road / in general road use. And I would also imagine the majority of reputable insurance companies would avoid you like the plague if you had a NOS'd up car. I mean.. lets be honest.. you aren't gonna be putting that NOS into a car for the hell of it. You are obviously going to be using it for a bit of street racing, and I guess they'd be very aware of that!

Jim, you're prob right about ins companies but there are a few that are happy with the mod!

Ins companies are there to make money pure & simple so a higher risk is usually shyed away from but that goes for any mod!

VR6 Tom sold his turn2 cold air induction kit 'cos his ins. was being awkward and wanting to put a large charge on his premium for what prob would have given 1-2bhp difference or so in real terms!

I just got a reply email from Vince at Stealth after asking about chargers, they are hoping to be doing the VF kit in the near future for about £2500 fitted. :D :D :D