Sign in to follow this  
edd

self strip

hey

The front end of my C is looking a little worse for wear, the off side front wing is rusting around indicator and the bonnet and front wing have been resprayed previous to my ownership with what one can only imagine as abolutely F all preperation causing all the paint to crack off. I have a quote from a chap who has done work on my cars before (who i know is good) for £700 plus materials (more like £900). This is basically doing the whole front end, and blending into the doors. Problem is its a little bit more than i was hoping and he reckons the cost is due to the hours and hours of labour he needs to strip it back down to bare metal (which is necessary in this case) and sand down the bumper he was basically trying to persuade me to strip it down myself, which brings me to 3 simple questions how do you do it, how easy is it to do and what tools do i need.

Any advice will be massivley appreciated.

hey

I have a quote from a chap who has done work on my cars before (who i know is good) for £700 plus materials (more like £900). This is basically doing the whole front end, and blending into the doors.

Thats a good price. Had my valver done and it cost £822 for the bonnet wings and bumper.

Nah thats heavy...

Been quoted £400-500 for a top notch job which includes full front end plus the rear bumper....in pearl paint.

:)

good greif where do you guys go for paintwork £800 £900 for a front end :shock: i have just had one complete side, rear bumper, both mirrors, and the panel below the rear lights in metalic blue, he even fitted two new door hinge pins at the same time. done proffessionally (not by a mate) in a garage for £320 cash. the job is absolutly top notch and i am really happy, oh and i am a picky fucker aswell. mine was only stone chips and light scratches and i apreciate the cost of stripping but i really do think you need to shop around.

good greif where do you guys go for paintwork £800 £900 for a front end :shock: i have just had one complete side, rear bumper, both mirrors, and the panel below the rear lights in metalic blue, he even fitted two new door hinge pins at the same time. done proffessionally (not by a mate) in a garage for £320 cash. the job is absolutly top notch and i am really happy, oh and i am a picky ****** aswell. mine was only stone chips and light scratches and i apreciate the cost of stripping but i really do think you need to shop around.

Pics and bodyshop details please.

Going by my past expierences:

I think you kind of get what you pay for regarding painting/respraying, had the bonet and wing resprayed on my old 16v on the cheap, and sure, it does look good when its first done, but with mine after a few months, what looked like little bubles started to appear arround the crease of the wheel arch and some on the bonet, then I was later told by someone that it was moisture underneth the paint.

I think £900 sounds about right for a top notch job for the front end

edd,

Where are you from mate?? £900 is FAR TO MUCH that is OVER THE TOP money Too be honest he does not sound that great to me, he needs to strip it back down to bare metal "

Your guy is ready to rub this down rather that replace, im not a mechanic or body shop worker, but im sure you realise that you cant properly treat rush this way, on a wing anyway its cheaper to buy a new wing if you are that worried (£130 from GPC).

If your happy to pay that money for the piece of mind then thats fine, but if I were you I would shop around, ask others around you that have had work done because a recommendation is always a good thing.

good greif where do you guys go for paintwork £800 £900 for a front end :shock: i have just had one complete side, rear bumper, both mirrors, and the panel below the rear lights in metalic blue, he even fitted two new door hinge pins at the same time. done proffessionally (not by a mate) in a garage for £320 cash. the job is absolutly top notch and i am really happy, oh and i am a picky ****** aswell. mine was only stone chips and light scratches and i apreciate the cost of stripping but i really do think you need to shop around.

Pics and bodyshop details please.

not really worth putting up pictures as they all look good until you see them in the flesh, thing is with having part paintwork done it can sometimes make the rest of the car look poor.

mine looks right and i am happy, £320 cash was the dearest quote i got and £180plus vat cheapest, which i thought was going to turn out crap. as i had budgeted £400 i took the dearest quote. nice guy and experienced so i dont really see any problems arising. i could of had the whole car done for £900 but didnt really see the point as its not a show car and i like performance goodies so would rather spend cash on the engine.

we all have different opinions.

garage i used is local and well known in kettering. pm me if you want details.

Cheers I agree with what most of you are saying but i cant really empahsize what a cock up the last respray on the car was. Looks as though the guy just kept on spraying as many layers on as he could to try and hide any lack of preparation imperfections, its so thick. Paint has cracked all the way down the lines on the bonnet and also seems to have "slipped" around the washers etc its even manged to crack on the flat areas. The Sprayers reasoning was thats its such a mess he was worried there was filler underneath it (which im fairly sure there isnt as am conviced it was a cheap "pre car sell" mate spray to get a better price, hide the inevitable stone chips etc. Paint is also just flaking off all around the front bumper.

So anyone got any advice on stripping it. Am off to get another quote later this week, but just want to try and avoid aome of the labour costs

cheers

Plus have you seen the price on a replacement Corrado bonnet!!!

I did most of the stripping on my car but let the bodyshop do all the prep work and the whole car including mods (door flushing and such) cost me 2 grand. Ive asked around and its true you get what you pay for. Id have said it would have cost around 600 for the work your talking about. I suggest you do as much work as your happy to and agrre your price.

One tip though make sure you make a list and agree it with any bodyshop then if he doesn't dio all you can talk discount or make him finish it.

Hope it helps

Thx

Mark

i'm in northampton mate...my car is going into a shop in kingsthorpe here for £350 all in for re-doing the flushed rear panel (no badge) that includes WELDING the badge recess shut.

Sprayng both front wings, bonnet is heavily stone chipped and requires machining down and stopper filler aplying, BOTH front wings and front bumper along with grill and handles colour coded.

Please PM me for details mate, it'll be good to see how they do with your car....£900 is way too much..pro job or not!

£500 MAX is what i'd pay.and thats with them prepping everything NOT YOU.

Sanjay.

Whens your car going in to get done Sanj? if its a good job I may get myn done too!

when i have the £400 free to do it...right now i have so many things planned like a holiday that it just isn't important for now.

Especially if i may shift the car in november.

I may get bonnet and wings done though along with grill for about £300...maybe in july.

Sanj.

vw polo 16v mate...got plans for another project polo...hoping for 140bhp from a polo 16v, black again if possible and done euro style! 8)

200bhp in a your corrado will be more fun :lol: , although the polos are ten times more relaible and cheaper to run :roll:

said it in one mate...cheers for the txt yesterday night...i'll give that guy a bell!

Are you coming down to a show anytime mate...cos i aint sure what p+p is like on them items you metioned. :wink:

Sanj.

p.s. i'll ring you after i speak to that bloke...whats his name? :lol:

i can't remember his name, but he had the add for breaking the corrado's in the back of the autotrader so i'm sure he won't mind if u don't know his name, he said to come pick up the bits on monday morning so, aslong as u sort it out with him before then on what u want, then i can pick up the bits.I'm not too sure on wether i'll be down for any shows. any fairly local ones i might go to, which ones u off to this year and where and when are they mate?

p.s sanj what are the plastic tog things that hold bown the carpet, just so i know what i should be collecting :oops: .

vw polo 16v mate...got plans for another project polo...hoping for 140bhp from a polo 16v, black again if possible and done euro style! 8)

Upto you mate, I'd stick with the rado IMO... :wink:

we should meetup sometime, havent seen your car since last years meet! :roll:

i had a new polo gti in 2001, i found it very dissapointing, i think i was expecting it to be like a mk1 golf for some reason. funny how with all the latest stuff on board you still prefer a 18 year old, car that is :lol:

dude...you love thew VW's...where abouts in northants are you?? would love a chat sometime.

bally- soon my friend...soon, we could arrange a meet in mk sometime next month if you want.

bobby- i have pm'ed you mate...the togs are like screw cap things have a look in a footwell of yours and see what i mean.

ok i think i know what u mean, would check in mine but its at a garage getting a new engine, gearbox and loom put in, can't wait till the weekend when i get it back. :mrgreen: