Jamie

Engine oil - low capacity?

Just done an oil and filter change on my VR. Took it out for a run to get it up to temp, left it draining for almost an hour jacked up and flat but it only drained just under 5 litres. I've refilled it up to the correct mark on the dipstick and it took exactly 5 litres...

Was under the impression it was 6 litres for a VR engine - what have I done wrong?

I wouldn't have thought it was that much in a VR Jamie I think mine only takes around 5.5 litres

When you say filter bowl, do you mean the filter housing Rog? I completely drained that when I changed the filter.

That's good news then Clumps but I'm still half a litre under...

5.5 litres is the capacity, 6 litres is the capacity when completly drained ie when my engine was rebuilt it took 6 litres, oil change time and it took 5.5 litres

Did you re check it on the dipstick after coming back from your drive obviously giving it time to cool first?

No - haven't driven it since I done the oil change, just filled it to the dipstick level. Does it need to be taken for a rip to get it to "settle" then Clumpy?

I thought you had mate when you said you had run it up to temp it may make a little difference taking it for a wee 20 min drive ;)

No I took it out to get it up to temp before I drained it. I'll take it out for a rip next week then and see what's what. Can't wait to get it back on the road - that 15 minute run today has brought all the love flowing back :)