Sign in to follow this  
NormanCoal

Changing the Diff Ratio

I found some links to changing the VR6 gearbox final Drive last night, so sorted out a little table to show the effects of changind the unit to make it a bit lower geared

Need to add a little more to see effective speeds, will try and add that later on

May be of use to people want to change the FD unit (like me)

In case it doesnt state, that is with the Golf VR6 box. I'm unsure of the FD ratio in a corrado, I know there was some debate about it being a 3.6 or a 3.3 as the Golf is

Just doing the speed calculations at the moment - isnt it great not having a boss in :D

Yeah the Corrado also has the 3.3 diff. Only the American SLC (AFAIK) got a lower one, I think it was 3.71

With 5 speeds, I would predict most people would be happier with the 3.65. 3.94 makes the box like an 020 16V, which *In my opinon* is too low for a VR.

Just depends what you want. I personally quite like the way the VR seems to pull forever in 4th with the standard box, but wouldn't mind it being a tad shorter for a bit more urgency around town etc.

if you haven't tried it you can't say it's too low. I've got one, and (in my opinion of course) it's perfect.

I can still chuck it in 4th at 20mph if I want and let the torque do the work.

in fact, some times I pull away in 2nd, change to 4th, then into 6th, becasue it's too much of a chore to go through them all when you're only getting up to like 50mph. but it's nice to know you have instant power on tap at any sort of speed you're ever likely to get up to on a country road. It certainly surpises a few bikers in the area anyway, and can keep up with my mates CBR 600 over 80mph.

3.6 with a 6 speed, or 3.9 with a 5 speed.

Well that's the beauty of subjectiveness..... as I say, the 3.94 effectively turns it into an 020 16V box, which is one I've used for years, so I know exactly what they're like thanks.....

Of course I have taken all that you've said about the gearboxes on board, all of it good info, but for me it'll be the 3.6 5 speed.

I have to say that I'm going for a 3.94, but the only reason for this is that I'm going to be using mine on track, and a 3.6 isn't worth changing to for this reason.

I'm looking at changing 5th though, to make it a wee bit longer. I just need to research what 5th gears are available and what is most suitable

well, I've never had a 16v so I wouldn't really know, but all the ones I've driven were specatularly unimpressive. I always thought the 2y 16v box was a 3.6 anyway?

"Spectacularly unimpressive", LOL!.

Well we're going OT again, but suffice to say, a 3.94'd VR 5 speed is rather like an 020 16V box :lol: