j_s14a

2003 BMW E39 530D manual saloon in Titan Silver, 120k miles

I'm selling my 2003 BMW E39 530d manual saloon, as I'm looking for a Corrado VR6 for daily duties. She's covered 120,650 miles, with less than 3000 in the last year!

To those of you unfamiliar with this model, the E39 5 series, and the 530d in particular, is regarded by many as the best all round car that money can buy.

Here's an excellent article on the E39s virtues: http://www.ge39.com/files/e39guide.pdf

My 530d is a 2003 model, in Titan silver over black leather/vavona wood, with only 120,650 miles on the clock, and a nearly complete service record (I misplaced the last service receipt given to me by the previous owner)

She has just had an MOT today (18/3/14), and will come with 6 months tax from tomorrow. The MOT tester commented on what good condition the car is in, which is reflected by the few advisories on the test sheet. They were for the front brake discs and pads, and a rear trailing arm bush. The car is going in for a full service a week on Saturday, at which point the front brakes will be changed. The rear bush only has very minor play, and the mechanic recommended leaving it for now, as it has plenty of life left in it, and was included because he is very thorough – the reason I always take my cars to him. I have his details should you wish to ask him about it.

The E39 is a real drivers car, and my example is in very fine fettle. It drives exactly as it should, with a great chassis with plenty of steering feedback. The inline 6 cylinder 3.0d engine is a beauty, and offers great performance and economy, while also sounding nice for a diesel, and really benefits from the rare manual gearbox. Average MPG is around 40, with mid 30’s around town, and up to 50 on a steady run, with the cruise control. 0-60 takes around8-9 seconds, and a top speed of 140mph plus. However, it’s the amazing midrange overtaking punch that this car is renowned for.

The car has stock suspension, but the buyer will have first refusal on a set of coil over suspension, should it be required. It has stock 16” turbine wheels fitted, with excellent Michelin primacy tyres all round. The buyer will also have first refusal on a set of 17” BMW/BBS style 42 alloy wheels.

The exterior condition of the car is good for its age, with perfect panel gaps. There are minor marks etc., in keeping with the age of the vehicle, but nothing untoward. The worst of which being;

- A very minor 1cm rust bubble on the edge of one rear wheel arch. It’s only just started, so could easily be treated.

- A 1cm dent on the leading edge of the bonnet, presumably caused by a stone.

- A scrape on one corner of the rear bumper.

The wheels are presentable, and clean up well, but would benefit from a minor refurb.

The interior is in generally excellent condition, with very little wear. The bolsters are all in very good order, with the drivers side base bolster obviously sagging just a little. The only other thing of note are 4 small screw holes in the dash from an old phone kit, but this just means it’s easier to mount your own phone bracket without further damaging the dash.  Everything in the interior works perfectly, with the air con having had a service and refill last year – it is now very powerful, and blows ice cold. It is the most powerful air con system in any car I have EVER used, new or old. It also benefits from dual zone climate control, cruise control and parking sensors.

It has the optional M-sport steering wheel and gear knob, and the steering wheel is an absolute joy to use, with controls for the stereo and cruise control.

The stereo is the basic business RDS model, which comprises of a tape deck and a CD auto changer in the boot. It would benefit from the installation of a Parrot Bluetooth kit or similar, which I would be happy to install if a buyer supplies one (and the associated cables). The only issue with the system is an occasionally erratic volume control on the head unit, though this never happens when using the steering mounted volume controls.

DSC_1177_zps50ceb638.jpg

DSC_1180_zps44434957.jpg

DSC_1182_zps1fcf9078.jpg

DSC_0001_zps3b36cd2b.jpg

I’ll take some more detailed photos near the time of sale.

This is a rare car – most E39 530Ds are at well over 150k miles, and most have the automatic gearbox, and the associated swirl flap issues. They are in demand, as the subsequent E60 was never as well regarded, and not as well built. The E39 was THE top car in its segment for almost its entire life span, quite a remarkable feat, which demonstrates just how good these cars are. It is probably THE BEST all round car you can buy, but is too too big for my current needs, and the diesel engine is better suited to more mileage than I'm currently doing.

I’m looking for £3250ono. I’m in York, and I would consider delivering the car, so long as my costs are covered.

Cheers, Jason.