Heathy

G60 supercharger question

Hi guys

I have a quick question on the supercharger of the g60, so in terms of servicing I know that this correlates to milage and now short the pulley is, I'm looking at a corrado with a stage 5 charger that was rebuilt some time ago but hasn't covered vast milage , I was wondering does the charger have a service interval on age as well as milage or is it solely milage ??

Many thanks

Alex

Difficult one to answer, but make sure you have a certificate/proof of rebuild. The small pulley on the side of the supercharger would be prone to age related wear and should be replaced annually. Everything else is internal oil seals or apex strips which may become brittle over years of no use - I'm sure JMR or OCD will come in with a better answer on that though.

For reference, full rebuild suggested intervals are:

Standard Charger and Pulley - Rebuild every 45,000 miles

68mm Pulley - Rebuild every 30,000 miles

65mm Pulley - Rebuild every 20,000 miles

Hi jonny

Thanks for your reply,

I knew this would be a difficult subject I've done a lot of searching to not really many answers on the age front , so the car I'm looking at the charger was rebuilt by Jabba in 2005 so 9 years ago at 70000 the car is now on 90000 I'm trying to find out what size the pulley is, but my thought was would the internals of the charger be perishing like you mentioned as 9 years is a long stretch of time !

Thanks again

Alex

That is a long time, and very little mileage per year. Personally I'd be looking to atleast have that cracked open by and expert and looked at (as Jonny mentioned JMR, OCD or Jabba should be able to take a look at it depending on where you are). Or, I'd use it as a bargaining tool to get the price down as if it were me I'd be looking to get it rebuilt/serviced once I'd bought it.

The car is up for 2875 looks good condition just worried about the charger that's all I think it could do with a rebuild

Thanks for the feedback guys

Alex

Rebuild schedules on a charger is impossible to say really.

I think Jonny's guide is good a rough guide, but I tend to give each customer and individual mileage depending on scroll wear. 2 chargers, both on same size pulleys might have different levels of wear inside and it's the apex strips that are the main concern regarding mileage.

The oil fed bearings are fine for years and many miles, the only ones of issue are the intermediate shaft ones which is when I'd follow the above mileage guide.

But, even though this one you're looking at has low mileage 9 years is a long long time! Most oil seals won't last 9 years with good use, so when they've seen little use there's even more chance of them aging and eventually leaking if you use the car quite often.

I offer a free health check service which is opening the charger, checking the internals and advising what may be needed. But with this, I'd strongly recommend a rebuild to prevent any let down when you start using the car :)

Hey Matt

Thanks for the reply, it's as a thought then, I was under the impression the seals would be subject to perishing over time !

Do you look at any chargers ie g40 chargers as I've got my eyes on both ends of the spectrum here haha all depending in what deal I can come to !

Thanks buddy

Alex