Jon_vr6

Coil pack?

Got a problem im hoping someone can diagnose...driving down the m6 and its like the car lost power and sounding rough. I put my foot down to power out of it but no joy went to turn round and head home but after 2 mins power came back and ran normal for the rest of the journey.

Any ideas? This happened the other week but only for a second then power came back.

I thought maf so changed it for new but its still there

Fuel pump is brand new

Spark and ht leads are less than a year old

Which leaves me with coil pack which is 6 years old none genuine one possible cause?

Oh and when it did it for a second previous i vagcomed it and no faults

Weather was hot all the way down the m6 i thought coilpacks fail more in the wet weather

Chees

Jon

Edited by Jon_vr6

Coils do tend to breakdown when hot. I have a spare that ST4stokie borrowed to confirm his was faulty, you're welcome to try it too, you're not a million miles from Crewe and will pass if you're heading for Stanford tomorrow?

Thanks for the offer but it doesnt happen all the time just the odd occasion so will dig around on monday when i get back home. Does sound like its running on 4 cylinders when it does it though

Thanks for the offer but it doesnt happen all the time just the odd occasion so will dig around on monday when i get back home. Does sound like its running on 4 cylinders when it does it though

To be clear, I don't want to sell the coilpack as its ideal for sorting situations like you're having, when it drops on to 4 cyls temporarily fit the spare coil before swapping back to confirm.

Good luck with it :)

Yeah i know your not selling it mate...ill keep you in mind if i need to borrow it when i have a proper look on monday cheers

I had an aftermarket coilpack on mine Jon and when it got really hot it did the same, no power and sounded like it was running on 4, pulled over waited 10 mins for it to cool down and was fine, as soon as it got hot again got the same problem, bought a decent one and had no issues since.

Just to put this one to bed the car broke down 5 miles from stanford hall on sunday. Car lost a lot of power and sounded like a scooby. Called the AA and after pulling the spark plugs off the coil pack while it was running confirmed that 2 of the leads weren't doing anything...A 45 minute drive to banbury gsf and 84 quid later the car was firing on all 6 again. Note to self in future if it sounds like the coilpack it probably is.

Checked the old one for cracks in plastic and there wasnt any so must have broke internally.

Never got to stanford hall as it was13.30 by the time we got the car back running.

Got to say though AA were great me and the gf didnt expect them to drive us all the way to gsf and back to get a part.

Just to put this one to bed the car broke down 5 miles from stanford hall on sunday. Car lost a lot of power and sounded like a scooby. Called the AA and after pulling the spark plugs off the coil pack while it was running confirmed that 2 of the leads weren't doing anything...A 45 minute drive to banbury gsf and 84 quid later the car was firing on all 6 again. Note to self in future if it sounds like the coilpack it probably is.

Checked the old one for cracks in plastic and there wasnt any so must have broke internally.

Never got to stanford hall as it was13.30 by the time we got the car back running.

Got to say though AA were great me and the gf didnt expect them to drive us all the way to gsf and back to get a part.

Glad you got it sorted bro