Jamie

Spark Plugs Black - Opinions Please

Just whipped out my plugs to see what sort of condition they were in and to see if they could give me an indication of what my burning issue could be. They're pretty dark but dry so I'm thinking over fuelling as opposed to oil contamination. What do you reckon?

3B730F40-D55D-4ABF-9CE2-84C0A95D71A8.jpg

They're not actually quite as dark as they look in the pics

What Your Old Spark Plugs Tell You about Your Vehicle

Condition Clues Probable Causes Remedies

Normal plug Brown or greyish- tan deposit on side electrode, Everything’s fine. Just clean and re gap the plug.

Carbon-fouled plug Black, dry, fluffy soot on insulator tip and electrodes. Overly rich fuel/air mixture, dirty air filter, too much driving at low speeds, or idling for a long time. Switch to “hotter” plug. (The higher the plug number, the hotter the plug.)

Oil-fouled plug Wet, black, oily deposits on insulator tip and electrodes. Oil may be leaking into cylinders past worn pistons or poorly adjusted or worn valves. Clean and re gap the plug, or replace it, but find out where the leak is coming from.

Burned plug Blisters on insulator tip, melted electrodes, burned stuff. Engine overheating, gap is too wide, wrong or loose plugs, overly lean fuel/air mixture, or incorrect timing Replace the plug.

Worn plug Severely eroded or worn electrodes Plug has been in there too long Replace the plug.

Edited by Ray1965

Cheers Kev. Not what I wanted to hear but I kind of knew in my heart of hearts that's what it be. Spoke to a mate earlier and he said it's not too bad a job to replace the valve guides, just sounds time consuming to me.

Funny you say that CW - most of my mates give me stick cos there's two missing!

Cheers Kev. Not what I wanted to hear but I kind of knew in my heart of hearts that's what it be. Spoke to a mate earlier and he said it's not too bad a job to replace the valve guides, just sounds time consuming to me.

I would get yourself a spare head from ebay or here and refurb that one. Then you can just pick a weekend and swap the head over and have a look at the bores etc whilst you're there.

I did consider that Kev but I always worry if the one I buy is worse than the one I've got. It's not a major concern for me at the minute, the car doesn't do many miles so I'll get the head off when I take it off the road for the winter and have the work done then. May also combine doing this and fitting a set of 268s if the cash flow situation is ok when I get round to it :)

Cheers for your replies