Andrew_LWSDesign

Primed Carbon Bonnet :-) and other Carbon Panels :-)

Just wondered if anyone is interested procuring a Primed Carbon and Infused GRP Bonnet we are selling one off on Facebook and would love it to goto a forum member... Details are in the for sale section...

The LWS Team with Corrado Doorcards, Bonnets, Roofskins and Tailgates For Sale :-)

Yes - me! I'm absolutely desperate for one but every time you put one up for sale I'm either skint or too slow and it's sold!

No I'm not too slow but I've just got back from holiday and I am brassic :(

Yeah nice one cheers Andrew. I will be in touch in the next few weeks :)

If they are anything like the Tailgate then we might be staying away! If there is enough demand we can do it we are just wary over how complex the tailgate was to mould and now make and also the Golf Mk1 Wings are one of the most complext parts.. a set of wings in Carbon would be about £1300... Still interest? GRP would be c£800. They would need to be a 3 part mould which makes them a bugger... in technical terms... but do-able :-)

I saw a carbon bonnet on a Corrado last week (didn't speak to the owner so don't know who provided the bonnet) and it had bad impact damage from a stonechip. The Carbon looked ok, a little thin for my liking, but the clear coat over it had shattered badly and what was presumably a standard stone chip, made the whole front of the car look terrible.

Is this a trait of cheap bonnets or is this something that can't be avoided regardless of who makes it? I'm not trying to sully your products, it's purely something that got me thinking when I saw the damage.

Hi,

Without seeing the damage it is hard to say, stone chips certainly would not cause a bonnet to self destruct unless it was a very significant impact or large stone/brick and even then I would not expect it to shatter, certainly the integrity of the carbon would not be affected and it could be repaired or painted body colour

Perhaps a good test of our products is the Lotus Elise S2 Carbon Front splitter, we have supplied a large number of these to customers and these will have stone impacts all the time as they are about 3 inches off the ground and we have never had a return or complaint.

Hope that helps...

It does thank you! It was the lacquer that had collapsed and shattered not the actual carbon, sorry if I never made it clear in my previous post.

Why would the wings be so much, considering there is a lot more work/material in a bonnet ? As most Motorsport company's charge by material/labour time, and not trying to recover tooling costs.

Hi,

It would not be anything to do with the tooling costs, it is purely down to the complexity of the part to produce once we have the mould, we always make sure we produce a perfect OEM fit which means a 3 part mould for wings as they attach in a very different way to a bonnet which just uses the oem screws etc, happy to re-look at this and if there is less work then we will charge less.

We have based this idea of pricing on the Mk1 Golf Wings, we own the moulds for this and still sell these for £1250 a pair but are a perfect bolt on fit with no body modifications as so many aftermarket panels require, those wings weigh under 2kg and I believe are actually larger than the corrados

If you need any help let me know, more than willing and have a composite background within a Motorsport environment, plus have a pair of wings that are in pretty good shape.