Jim Bowen

New engine plans

Have been collecting bits for a while now and nearly got everything, just starting to consider getting someone else to assemble it all for me. I think I'd rather have the piece of mind that someone with experience has done it.

Just bought that new 2.8 bottom end off ebay, decided to go for a 2.8 and use the 263 schimmel cams so probably won't notice any difference.

I was thinking of getting Vince at stealth to do it, does this seem a reasonable request.

What i have is:

-New bottom end, no crank or rods

-Vege recon head

-INA lifters

-ARP head studs

-Head gasket kit

-My old crank from the 2.9 (if i can get the pulley off and remove it from bottom end? any tips?)

-My old con rods

-New timing chains/guides etc

Does Vince do balancing? Was told by a friend to get piston/rods/crank/flywheel and clutch plate balanced?

Really i'm just looking for any bits i've not got and what other people might do at the same time. Got to get a new clutch kit and also know i need shell bearing is it?

Hi Jim

As im sure you know engine work can open up a whole can of worms. Unfortunately I ended up, well vince, chasing round parts that were not refreshed & ended up being weak links in the chain

full post on http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=44751&page=2&highlight=g0ldf1ng3r

but a summary of parts is here for you.....

Head rebuild inc new gaskets, valve seals, re-seated valves etc etc(this was done twice as vince re-done all work to make sure all issues were fixed)

Full set of chains & tensioner's

Schimmel 263 cams

BMC CDA

Custom stealth ECU remap - graphs to follow

Roose motorosport hoses & clips, full set

Thermostat & housing

Primary & auxilary (electric) water pumps

All 3 cooling temp sensors

Oil temp sensor

golf V5 starter motor

Vibratechnics front engine mount

OEM rear gearbox mount

Valeo clutch with revised release bearing (as the original shed its grease & the 2nd one chirped like crazy) & new clutch arm assembly etc

Sump oil pump

Sump & gasket

Core plug

Battery

Valeo heater matrix

Not to worried about ancillaries. Most of that I have bought new already and using or have a spare.

I took oil pump apart and cleaned it all up. Looked in good condition to me. Has done over 200k though.

Can much go wrong with the oil cooler? I have two of them in the garage.

Might be a silly question but does the engine need to be in car and running for the remap? I'll be fitting engine myself. Didn't know if vince has the capability of running engine out of car

Pretty sure he doesn't have a test bench, although he'll be able to do a generic map, but it won't get the best out of your engine. Definitely change the oil cooler. I had one go on my old mk3 Golf whilst on the A38. New engine required.............. For what they cost new, its a no brainer. As mentioned, all plastics (crack pipe, temp sensor housing, etc etc) and their associated gaskets, including both inlet mani gaskets, and tb gasket. As long as the gear teeth look ok on your oil pump, it should last. At that mileage though, its probably just a little noisy as the teeth will have some wear. The list always grows no matter how much much you prepare for the work, so keep a little money in reserve for just such an occurrence.

Think I'll phone vince next week then and get it started. Had a couple of grand saved up. But spent quite a chunk of that.