bigchagg

Sudden loss of power vr6

Hi I just got vr6 back on the road today after around 3 years off.

I picked the car car up from body shop and drove moderately as the fuel was very low so low that I thought it ran out of fuel because as I was driving around 20 mph it cut out, it didn't splutter but just seemed to loose all power.

I pulled over and it started back up. I got it to the petrol station and filled it up.

I had been driving the car for 25 miles throughout the day slowly building up confident driving and started to open it up with no problems.

This evening I thought I'd take it for another run without any traffic around and it did the same again, lost all power while I pushed it hard round a roundabout but managed to start it while coasting.

I then cam to a stop at the lights and it stated to idle abit lumpy and died.

It did a couple more times at low speed and while coming to a stop.

Not sure where to start, anyone?

Ok that's a start, I will check in the morning don't fancy waking my neighbours up now. It has a kn cone on it would that make any difference?

Also if it was the plug would that not occur at all speed and not just at low?

If it's loose then when you put a load on the engine, the resistance in the plug between the pins may be enough to upset things.

Is your filter a dry one or one you need to oil? Being a bit over keen with the oil can adversely affect MAF readings.

If it's loose then when you put a load on the engine, the resistance in the plug between the pins may be enough to upset things.

Is your filter a dry one or one you need to oil? Being a bit over keen with the oil can adversely affect MAF readings.

Tbh not sure as the filter was on it when I bought the car(it looks dry)I'll check the invoice as a have it in the service folder.

Today's the first run I've had in the vr since I bought a few months back. I didn't even test drive it went straight from the trailer to the bodyshop - bringing good memories of the first VR I had quite a few years back.

I will check the maf plug tmrw and take it from there

Ok iv checked the maf plug its seems fine. Uplugged it while engine on and no difference when I plug back in a very slight engine noise difference back to normal.

Drove it moderately today and cut out again?

Ok so it's started to get worse so I took it down to the garage and the lads put a computer on it.

They said it's coming up as the air mass.

So I rang the dealers who said they don't have them anymore and rang tps and euro who also said the same, what do I do now then? How the hell do you get a new air mass?

Maf is the air mass sensor. MAF stands for Mass Air Flow. The giveaway is when you unplug it and nothing changes. If it was working it should make a normal engine sound rough when it's unplugged.

Stick a wanted ad up or go and find a bosch one from a bosch auto factor or a good quality gsf/euro car parts item. From vw, the Maf is serious money.

Sorry just seen it's obsolete. Try the bay of e.

Yep seem to obsolete everywhere. There aftermarket ones but iv been told not to bother with these and to find a genuine Bosch one, only if it was that easy.

The part number I'm after is 021906462

Do you think a second hand Bosch is ok?

Second hand mafs are never the best bet unless you have no other option. Ford also had the vr6 lump so maybe you might have some luck with them?

Ebay i got one for 125 delivered bosch and same part number as above. Make sure you check if yours is an early maf or late one

Ebay i got one for 125 delivered bosch and same part number as above. Make sure you check if yours is an early maf or late one

How do I know ifvits early or late? The has 4pins in it. Do early and late have tje same part numbers as above?

Have u the bay item number?

Yeah as Chris said yours will be the late one heres a link to the one i got

http://www.mister-auto.co.uk/en/air-flow-sensor/bosch-0-280-217-504_g3926_a0300!280!217!504.html

If you look in the manufacturers reference part you will see the orginal part number showing that this will fit yours

Your right on the part numbers I think thats my best bet.

I will give cleaning it ago no harm I guess however I suspect its completely duff seen as though it makes no difference when I take the plug out.

Cool, pass that way seeing my GFs mum n dad in Hattersley. you ever need your car vagcommed mate get in touch i have the rosstech cable and software

Cool, pass that way seeing my GFs mum n dad in Hattersley. you ever need your car vagcommed mate get in touch i have the rosstech cable and software

Aww nice one mate. Pm me your number amd illill store in my fone.