holeinmk1

I know this isn't the place, but....Golf mk2 content

My wife is learning to drive and after a bit of looking around and insurance checking we've finally (kind of) settled on getting a mk2 Golf gti (8v) as her first car( i know but its actually not as bad as you may think). Always liked these but never owned one myself, i'm fairly familiar with the old 8 valver so nothing new there to scare me, but any golf mk2 specific quirks/faults to keep an eye open for?

Only asking here as i know many members on here have owned these before, and your such a great bunch too....:p

Tom

Rust is usually their worst enemy. Everything else is fairly basic and cheap to repair. The Mk 2 Golf forum and Club GTI are good resources. I would personally opt for a model with PAS as a daily driver.you will pay a premium for a good original example, but they are holding their values well.

As above, rust in the floors scuttle, rear arches/valence and fuel cap areas in particular.

If you find an 8v with pas your doing well, however all 90spec 16vs came with it, but check the rack as replacements are nigh on impossible to find.

Gear linkages suffer from wear but are easily sorted.

Heater matrixes, but most will have been done now.

Most headlinings will have dropped by now too, as the foam backing disintegrates, this also happens on the heater flaps so the air blows out of all locations regardless of the control setting. The only way to sort this is remove the dash and airbox and replace the foam covering.

Check for water in the footwells, the membranes behind the door cards split and let water in. Also the sunroof drain tubes can block up causing it to leak.

If your looking at a late 8v check the Rev counter and mfa work, these can be expensive to replace.

Mk2s are great cars, but even the latest ones are approaching 25yrs old now so finding a good one is getting harder. It might also be worth noting 5 doors seem to fetch less if your not that particular about it.

Good luck

pretty much everything covered above! I bought my wife a mk2 8v for her first car too, although she hated it as it was an early non PAS model. PAS is a MUST!!

Thanks guys but she has now changed her mind. Looking at a lupo instead, to be fair the insurance is cheaper and it should feel a fair bit newer to. Thanks anyway for the advice, shame really would'nt have minded having a baz about in an 8valve again lol.

tom