Sign in to follow this  
coolrado

front shock absorbers...inserts?

i recently noticed a knocking from my front right wheel when driving over bumps i jacked the car up and it seems to be caused by a worn shock absorber the shaft moves side to side in the strut slightly. the front shock absorbers seem to be an insert type (removable damper cartridge) is this correct :?: , or can they only be puchased as a complete unit :?:

it would be better if i could just replace the cartridge as i would not have to get the camber and tracking done again.

Complete unit, assuming they're original equipment. They're about £35 from GSF. Replace both on the same axle at the same time. Yes you'll need to get the camber done again afterwards.

May aswell replace the top mounts and top bearings too, while they're off.

i think they are oem as the previous owner had the car from new and had everything done by vw dealers, but the strut tubes have an external thread at the top with a notched ring for a removal tool quite similar to my old mr2 ones.

Yeah, the OEM struts are sealed units, no adjustment, no screw threads, no notched rings (as it were).

just took a couple of photos to show what my shocks look like. if they are not oem any ideas of what they are :?:

I could be wrong, but they appear to be MKII Golf struts with inserts... :? (euro lists 'em as Bilsten items for MKII Golf anyway... )

Looks like someone may have swapped a set of suspension over at some point.... :?

would this cause any problems :?: am i better off replacing them with a new set of corrado ones from gsf :?:

I would change them for corrado ones, at least then you know they are the right ones for the car, from GSF they are only £35 per side, and because you are changing them anyway you might aswell put the right ones in.

are these the right ones for a 1991 g60

45560 SHOCK STRUT BQ GAS FR CO All Ex. VR6 £42.50 X2

45709A STRUT TOP MOUNTING CO 4 Cyl >7/94 £9.50 x2

they dont seem to list a bearing for a 91g60 ?????? are they included in the top mounts?????

or would i be better off getting the bilstein ones from euro ?? about the same price.

where are those prices from. They could be different because mine is a VR6, I never checked the prices for other models.

I bought my front shocks 2 weeks ago and they were only £35 per side. The top mounts came in a kit for 11.85 included was the rubber bush and the bearing it worked out about a £1 cheaper buying the kit.

the prices are from gsf the g60 ones do seem more expensive than the vr. and they dont seem to do a top mount kit for a g60 confusing :roll:

just done a search on the forum to try and find out more about the standard shocks and it seems that a few people have had problems with sachs/boge units, too spongey, body roll ect is this just with vr's or would they be ok on the g60?

where is the best place to get the bilstein items ?

what comes with the "suspension kit" from gsf?

ive got the mot coming up in 2 weeks time and i think its going to fail on the shocky :( so i need to order a pair soon.

There's nothing wrong with SACHS/BOGE gas shocks - they are the same as was fitted at the factory (on the VR6 at least). That may be too soft for some people, but that's a personal decision. The car that won all those motoring press plaudits was equipped with SACHS Advantage shocks, so they can't be all bad.

im sure the bearing is the same, ive heard that the VR6 bush is better, as in it lasts longer, ring them see what they say

anyone else upgraded to vr6 top mounts are they the same ?

Euro car parts still list 'Bilstein' shocks for the C, but when they arrive they are BOGE items! I tried 3 times and the result was always the same.

http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk sells Bilstein OE shocks at a price cheaper than ECP, mail order.

I thought VR6 top mounts are more comfortable than the 4 cyl. top mounts, but that the suspension will sit 10mm higher??

I got the 4cyl. top mounts from GSF for my G60, and they were exactly the same genuine part as the original factory items :)

Yep, Bilstein are available thru Euro car parts.

VR top mounts are stronger than G60/16V parts and so ideally suited to cars fitted with uprated suspension kits/coilovers. If you're sticking with OE spec suspension it's probably not worth upgrading.

If you chose to go with VR top mounts you'll need to buy all the other components too ie. bearing and retaining nuts etc

Best to check the parts from an exploded diagram in Ekta.

just ordered new shocks from avs quite a bit cheaper than ecp or gsf 8)

the bushes look like the original ones and are probably knackered, will the bugpack ones for the mk2 golf fit i know the steering rack ones and the rear axle ones are wrong but if i order the total kit i can flog the rest of the bits on e-bay (a mate of mine did this with his golf as some of his had allready been upgraded he sold the bump stops, rear axle bushes and rear top mounts and made enough money to pay for the whole kit) 8)

Which bushes are shot?

Bugpack = cheap shite upgrades for beetles and the like, don't bother, just get quality standard bushes :)

AVS are great, good prices and quality parts :)

Bugpack = cheap shite upgrades for beetles and the like, don't bother, just get quality standard bushes :)

i thought polyurethane was stiffer and much longer lasting than rubber

couldnt really see the difference between the powerflex bushes my mate had on his golf allready and the new bugpack ones apart from the colour and the fact the bugpack ones use normal steel sleeves instead of the stainless ones in powerflex bushes

and they definately improved the handling and feel of his car

Yeah powerflex bushes are good, properly engineered kit, I just don't like Bugpack stuff it's cheap (but alright for aircooled vw's that don't handle anyway)

Powerflex claim they don't increase noise/vibration over standard bushes, but they do, especially when combined with uprated springs/shocks/engine mounts/low profile tyres, it becomes really noticeable. Just depends how far you go and whether you mind a harsher ride/feel.

I definately would not use aftermarket/poly bushes in the rear axle of corrado's/golfs with passive rear wheel steer, it's going to spoil the handling.

Even in this months PVW magazine, Mr Wotsit from Awesome GTI advises that poly axle bushes can be fitted instead of OE items, and that they will increase rear tyre wear(as if its a plus point!!)

IMHO some parts of VW engineering just shouldn't be messed with :roll: