G_Dub

Car been sat on drive last 15 months...feel bad...things to check?

Right I've not been around here for some time. Basically my 2.0 16v Rad started playing up a bit in the first part of last year (some electrical issues and top mount problems). I think the last time I drove it was April possibly even March 2013 and since then it's been sat at the bottom of my drive (SORN) and I've not touched it since. A combination of using the bike to ride to work and then breaking my collarbone in Autumn last year meant I've just not got around to sorting it out.

I've since bought a new car but I feel bad about the Rad and I don't wanna just sell it in this poor condition. It needs a new front shock absorber which I'll buy and fit, new top mounts which I've already got, new rear bump stops which I've already got then it will need a new battery and the electrical issue solving before it's anywhere near being ready to drive and be sold.

Like I said I already feel bad about it being sat there for so long but now I wanna do it right as it was on my list of cars I always wanted to own and it didn't do too much wrong to me.

I'm no mechanic but willing to do/try anything. So once I've done the above listed jobs what other things do I need to check/change/replace/lube before attempting to run it as I wouldn't wanna do any damage and I can imagine it's not good for a car to just sit without being run for so long?

Fingers crossed you left the handbrake off! Depending on the last time the oil was changed I would change it anyway, replace filter and put some fresh fuel in and you'll be away

Thanks for the replies. Can't wait to hear that engine again.

Could sound a bit clattery initially until oil gets round the system. Can you turn it over manually....

Would consider pulling the fuel pump relay and just cranking / turning it over for a few seconds to throw oil around the engine without it actually starting.

To be honest it'll probably be fine. Always hear stories of folks firing up Corrado's that have been left for years and they start and run like they'd just been parked the day before :)

I can certainly vouch for the "sounding like it was just parked the day before". My vr was keen as mustard to start and run - after being layed up for ages.