kerrly

Vr6 oil cooler leaking badly with new seals

Hi all,

I'm getting to the end of my tether and am pretty fed up with my rebuilt Vr6.

It's had every seal to do with the coolant system and oil system replaced so the theory was put the engine in, fill it with fluids and off we go.

I spun the engine over with the coil pack disconnected to check that the oil pressure was good and allow some fuel to get to the injectors only to find that the oil cooler and the three sensors were leaking oil at an alarming rate. So much so I've probably lost +2L all over the floor!!!!

So I've had the three sensors off, cleaned all the surfaces up and stuck them back in nice and tight which seems to have done the job.

The oil cooler on the other hand was still pouring oil out from the front and back. I've taken it off and checked the seal to the block is positioned fine and still stuck on with it's little "ears"

It still leaks!

Any ideas???? I can order another seal which will take a few days to arrive so im prepared to try one or two more fits before I contemplate anything irrational.

Thermostat housing won't leak oil :lol: think he does mean the oil filter housing and then the oil cooler?

There are two seals on the cooler, one with the lugs and then one in the sort of cap bit. Unless you have a damaged or dodgy seal they should just tighten up and not leak. Unless your cooler or the surface on the block is damaged. Usually worth smearing both seals with a little oil before fitting to stop them getting damaged while tightening.

Hi gents,

Yes it's the oil cooler that is leaking everywhere.

IMG_2689.sized.jpg

I have installed new seals and made sure that the seal on the block surface as per the picture had the little wings attached. The block has been painted but I taped up all the mounting surfaces and have given it another quick sand to try and be extra certain.

Yep I put a bit of oil around the seal prior to install and after the first oil spillage there was certainly more than enough oil around the seals on install.

New inner seal is on order but it's an extra few days off the road which is realllllly winding me up!

I've spotted a few brand new oil coolers on ebay for £50 but since the bloody thing didn't leak before it was removed it stands to reason it is rubbish new seals more so than the cooler being damaged?

I've spotted a few brand new oil coolers on ebay for £50 but since the bloody thing didn't leak before it was removed it stands to reason it is rubbish new seals more so than the cooler being damaged?

Fair comment!