vr6paul

Fault diagnosis, fuel pump help?

Hi everyone, I had the excitement of a breakdown in the corrado yesterday. Hesitant coming out of a roundabout like a big misfire then no revs even though i was pushing throttle. Eventually cut out and won't start now. It will turn over all day but won't start. Sounds like fuel? If so is the pump likely offender, and finally is it a pain to change?

Many thanks in advance

A way to tell if its pump related is to undo the two fuel lines and put them in a container start the car and see if you get fuel coming out of the lines. If nothing then obviously its fuel related, i know the feeling of the fuel pump going happened last year and your symptoms sound the same as mine did.

How olds your fuel pump relay ? Might be worth trying that first as its a hell of a lot cheaper than the fuel pump, if no change at least you know thats not at fault.

As for changing the pump pretty straight forward they are expansive though, find out which one you have first VDO was fitted to the later VR's whereas the early vrs got a Pierberg one. VW only stock the VDO one

Where is the pump? Where are you suggesting removing fuel lines? Car won't star per say so will turning it over be enough for this test. Any ideas which relay is for the fuel pump? It's an m plate vr6 so likely the later pump. If I can place eyes on it I'll have a look.

Thanks again.

The pump is located in the boot under the carpet . You will see a black cover with three screws holding it on . You have two fuel lines that fit onto the fuel rail , the top one is the one you need to remove . Be carefull taking it off ,if you have been cranking the engine and fuel is present ,it will be under pressure and you dont want an eyefull. Once the pipe is removed ,hold a jar with the pipe inside , get someone to crank the car and if fuel is being pushed through you will see it coming out . I cant remember which no the fuel relay is .

Anyone tried a walbro pump? Ebay £70. Says it suits vr6 with minor modifications. Much more reasonalby priced than oe. Any thoughts?