Hairyarse

Heated wing mirrors?

Do we have them?? I had the rear window heater on the other morning and the nearside mirror appeared to demist itself but the drivers didn't. If C's do have them and they've stopped working, is it a case of replacing the mirror glass or something else?

Mine certainly has got heated mirrors. I bought some replacement slightly curved ones from ebay to replace them original ones - they give better visibility imho :)

You should be able to *gently* prise out the mirrors that are there and see the wiring behind them. Be very careful as the plastic backing may be quite brittle by now. You can then run a multimeter over the wires to check there's current to them. They come on, as you've found out, with the rear screen demister. If you've got current then the heating element is fubar and you need new glass.

good info timmaaah thanks

andy - they are especially great when the mirror is iced over as a few mins with rear screen button depressed & no scraping required :)

Thanks for the info. I take it if I do happen to break the plastic backing, a new mirror glass will have that on it?

The ones I bought were supplied with a new plastic backing, but I felt it wasn't as good as the original ones. With some very careful and gentle manipulation I was also able to remove the old glass from the old plastic backings and reuse the backings :)

The heated mirror glass has long been obsolete from VW but is widely available on the after market scene. You could spend 99.95 euro per side buying replacements from ARZ Tuning in Germany (an excellent, if pricey, source of obsolete parts and well worth a browse) or you could buy replacements at around £13 on e-bay which come complete with the heating elements and plastic backing plates. I installed a set about 18months ago and it's all good so far. As stated, you can, with a lot of patience, remove the backing plates from the original glass and re-use it but I just went with the glass as supplied.

The backing plate and glass just clip onto the motor and you can simply prise them off. If you tilt the mirror either fully up or down it gives you more space for your lever. Once removed, you will see the two wires going to the heating element. There are mini female spades on the wires and mini male spades on the glass. They will be well rusted by now and if they haven't already broken off they probably will when you try to remove the wires. Fitting the new glass is just a case of plugging in the wires and snapping the glass into place on the motor.

The pic. below shows the two original backing plates which I removed form my original mirrors.

P9170001.jpg

Sure brand new oem ones are available through vw heritage through classic parts

passenger side only, and not cheap...