Roger Chatfield

Rear speakers, recommend me some quality replacements.

Evening all,

I've got a lovely sounding set of speakers that have been fitted in my parcel shelf.

IMG_4636_zps8aa8c37e.jpg

Now they sound great but I'm not a massive fan of parcel shelf mounted speakers so would really like to go back to the OE speakers.

However, I realise these are now 18 odd years old and are pretty old school technology, so what are my options?

Really I'd like the sound quality of my shelf mounted speakers but in the same size as the OE speakers, this way I can have a standard parcel shelf. I use the car daily and often remove the parcel shelf to get the dog cage in, currently its a right pain to have to disconnect the speakers each time I remove the shelf.

OE speaker on right.

IMG_4635_zps5ea1a3e6.jpg

Opinions and advice please.

Rog.

Edited by Roger Chatfield

nothing good is going to come out of those lil speakers in the shelf even if you replace them with expensive modern ones..... I went that way & it was not worth the trouble or effort. Can you go stealth with your shelf so to keep the nice sounding 6x9s??

From speaking to some audio enthusiasts and experts very recently on this subject, essentially the advice was quite loudly to forget about the rear 6x4's. They're too small to make any meaningful contribution to your sound setup in the car - so just put some new / reasonable replacements in of any brand, and concentrate on the soundstage up front.

• Like 1

To put it simply: do you go to concerts and face away from the stage? Do away with the rear fills and focus on the best speakers and front stage your pockets can justify. Those rears will not be missed with a proper front stage setup.

• Like 1