g0ldf1ng3r

Sill repair section available from Classic Parts via VW Heritage

Hi all

I post this with the anticipation that it will be a big no & a dead end but thought worth asking you lovely people just in case.

I have search on here & know there is a left outer sill part on ETKA, number 535809847, & that VW used to provide them but ive spoken with dealer today & they are no longer available & there are none in the UK

My mechanic is a superb welder but a repair panel or section of a sill would help greatly.

Does anyone know of any stock of the part listed anywhere or have any ideas?

It is actually only a small section below the A pillar which needs repairing but the ETKA diagram doesnt show that part number 10 & would be over kill as it includes part of the door frame

Im thinking the only likely option is to fabricate it from scratch

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by g0ldf1ng3r

Classic parts have the RH - could be worth dropping them a line (or Heritage - Anna on here) to see if they're going to be re-introducting the LH?

http://shop.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/vwcp/unterholm-535809848.html

Ooo thanks Andy, very much appreciated!! i hadnt checked there. I only need a section of it for each side so i may be able to cut it up & use on both sides

Andy you are a star - ive had a search through the classic parts site & they have the A pillar part available for both sides

LHS = 535809839A

RHS = 535809840A

only trouble now is that chrome doesnt translate the 'contact us' form & i dont read german - anyone know an email address for them?

They speak good english classic parts

good info thanks :)

ive managed to decipher & complete the online contact form asking for prices with shipping - i fear it will be a wallet basher

I've recently done mine, what started visually as a tiny hole became about 8 inches of rotten sill below the A piller along with the area behind the bottom of the wing. I just cut a section out a breaker further back near the middle of the car and welded it in and fabricated the rest.

96kyuv.jpg

Ooo thanks Andy, very much appreciated!! i hadnt checked there. I only need a section of it for each side so i may be able to cut it up & use on both sides

Andy you are a star - ive had a search through the classic parts site & they have the A pillar part available for both sides

LHS = 535809839A

RHS = 535809840A

only trouble now is that chrome doesnt translate the 'contact us' form & i dont read german - anyone know an email address for them?

No problem, could be worth calling Heritage about getting hold of them for you as it could avoid costly shipping costs (they haven't got that many Corrado parts on their website yet).

Well AndyR32 you werent wrong........95 euro shipping cost for the A pillar panels....holy cow!!! fabrication is the way forward methinks

I'd just contact someone breaking a raddo and have them cut out a section for your welder to work with. No guarantee that A panel repair section will have enough sill to work with..

I'd just contact someone breaking a raddo and have them cut out a section for your welder to work with. No guarantee that A panel repair section will have enough sill to work with..

thanks jamo - a good idea & one i had considered.

by the look of ETKA & where the hole is i would need the sill repair panel, or a section of a sill, rather than the A panel i was looking at as it is past the door line towards the rear of the car (rather than the sill section that is directly below the wing

my only concern with getting a section cut out is that you never know what that section will be like, it might look ok before its cut out but could be rotten/rotting itself. whereas if a piece is fabricated i will know it is a healthy bit of metal

however its worth investigating with the breakers on here :)

thanks to all for your help as always

You any pics of the offending section of corrosion. There is other issues to consider too, the further back you go from where the door meets the wing the outer sill is spot welded to the inner sill so any donor section will be harder to cut out.

I had a rado with a rusty sill and after a lot of research my best bet would of been a cut from a good breaker, you could then separate the sill into its three pieces and reuse where necessary, but i sold it in the end. Good luck though!

Afternoon all

I thought i would let you know that with the help of Anna at Heritage i have been able to order an o/s sill repair section delivered to my door for just shy of £50

Heritage have been able to remove the extortionate shipping costs from classic parts by sourcing the part for me

fingers crossed it will be long enough to sort the small issues on both sides :D

well done Anna!!

Oh & thanks also to maff & gti_jamo - appreciate the advice chaps