Mk3highline

2.8 24v balancing importance

Hi just trying to get prepping for the swap and getting some mixed info doing the searching

How well are the 24v vr6 balanced?

I'd rather have it done for peace of mind has anyone on here had there done?

The 24V isn't an especially smooth engine. They have heavy, rubber damped crank pullies and very heavy dual mass flywheels. Without those and soft mounts, it's rough as a badger's arse.

I'm not sure you can improve it tbh as the design of the engine is a limiting factor. Offset crank etc. Audi's true V6 and a straight 6 are waaaaaay smoother than a VR6.

Oh right thank you

I was under the impression that with it having the same firing order as a straight 6 it would stay smooth like the 12v as it is

It's the same as the 12V in terms of smoothness, but the 12V isn't that smooth imo. It gets pretty rough near the redline and there's a horrible out of balance roughness around 1200rpm as well.

The 24V isn't an especially smooth engine. They have heavy, rubber damped crank pullies and very heavy dual mass flywheels. Without those and soft mounts, it's rough as a badger's arse.

Great I'm in the process of ordering a 5kg flywheel,

competition clutch or maybe the ebay xtd thing

http://vibrationfree.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/crankcasedeflectionpaper.10.pdf

good read for you's lot

Bit long winded

Basically one bit I remember from it is

For instance, if during the building of a four cylinder car engine the connecting rods were not match balanced accurately. It would take just one of the four connecting rods to have a heavier big end by just 1 gram at a typical radius of 70mm on the crankshaft, to produce a force of over 2.5 kg at 6000 rpm.