Sign in to follow this  
craigbeal

Golf 16v Inlet

What difference does it make putting a golf mk2 inlet manifold on ( the one fatter one). Also if i was to swap it then would i need to get the mixtures or anything else adjusted??

Fitting 50mm manifold alters the torque curve to bias top end power, smaller manifold bias's mid range - have larger one myself, and there is a difference at top end from 5,000 onwards, but offset by noticeable loss at low end. Official VW figures are 3hp benefit for 50mm. All told depends on your driving style, my thoughts are the 16v is a revvy engine with crappy low end regardless, so on that basis I'll be sticking with larger.

I adjusted mixture after fitting and that was all.

Fitting 50mm manifold alters the torque curve to bias top end power, smaller manifold bias's mid range - have larger one myself, and there is a difference at top end from 5,000 onwards, but offset by noticeable loss at low end. Official VW figures are 3hp benefit for 50mm. All told depends on your driving style, my thoughts are the 16v is a revvy engine with crappy low end regardless, so on that basis I'll be sticking with larger.

I adjusted mixture after fitting and that was all.

Ported and polished 42.5mm all the way :)

Good torque at low revs and no breathing probs with a 2L bottom end and a gas flowed head.

David.

I fitted the bigger 1 to my 1.8 and it felt more powerful topend but when i changed it back i really noticed the boost at 4k instead of waiting around for 5k.Small 1 all the way 8)

Yep I preferred the 42mm one on my 1800 MK2. I didn't lose any top end power though as it was carefully optimised on the rollers using K-Star KS-301, enriched warm up regulator, 2 x exhaust cams and a vernier cam wheel. 154bhp with 136ft/lb torque.

If you do change the manifolds over, it's a good time to replace all the seals, injector seats and plastic injector guide tubes. It makes a nice difference to the running and removes any idle lumpiness.

K