Sign in to follow this  
Blown

Help with timing please.

Having looked at the diagrams someone posted here for setting up the timing on a G60,does the bottom pulley for the supercharger belt and the pulley in front,both bolted to the crankshaft,have to be removed first, to line up the timing marks?

Or is there a way of setting the timing without removing these pullies(sp)?

If the S/c pulley has to be romoved,how is this done,as there seems to be no way to loosen the belt?

All answers gratefully appreciated.

three parts to the job.....and none of them are removing a pulley!!!

you need to line up the mark on the inner edge of the charger belt pulley to an arrow on the lower half of the timing belt cover, you need to line up the two dots on the cam pulley teeth with the edge of the head, and the rotor arm needs to be lined up with a smalll mark at approximately the 1 or 2 o clock position on the distributor body.

This gives the approximate positions for setting the timing...... you can do it more accurately via other methods, but this way is good enough for most. (me included)

Slightly incorrect - you WILL need to remove the steering/charger belt pulley - secured by 4 allen screws. DO NOT unscrew the centre crankshaft sprocket bolt. Remove the waterpump pulley to facilitate removal of the bottom plastic cambelt cover.

If you have never changed a cambelt before - I strongly suggest that u let a proffesional do the work for you.

I have replaced many timing belts over the years & the G60 is certainly not one of the easiest to do. You may also be in the unfortunate position of the distributor being replaced in the wrong position at some point in the car's past - like mine. Consequently my timing marks do not line up at all !!

Oh yeah....forgot that you have to get the bugger on first........last time i did it was after fitting my head.....the reason I didnt replace the belt is that the one that was on had done zero miles!

Also confused by the question - reads setting, not replacing! :oops: (it has been a long day!)