britpop95

Isv or pcv? Vr6 Experts needed please

Hello everyone after finally fitting my new heater matrix and putting the dashboard back in i am now onto my next job. Ive noticed when i start the car the rev counter jumps to about 3000rpm and at idle (even when warm) the rev dial is slightly going up and down slightly and i can here the engine "hunting" think thats the wright word. So under the bonnet i noticed a split pipe that goes from the airfilter pipe to the rocker cover the pipe had oil in it. I've tried using the search on the forum but no joy is the pipe i describe the isv or the pcv or neither? Help needed and where can i get a new one. As always any help very much appreciated. Cheers guys

Its the pcv, Positive Crankcase Ventilation, they do seem to get rather oily inside, my previous two engines both chucked quite a bit of oil down there so this time i'm replacing it with an oil catch can.

Cheers for that jim, will replacing it with a oil catch tank not stop the ventilation to the crankcase though? or can a breather somehow be fitted to the crankcase

It breathes into the oil catch can rather than chucking oil into the throttle body inlet, i think you need to block off the thin pipe that come from the wing/carbon cannister area as well.