virtuoso23

1991 Corrado G60 Emissons Fail- Help would be Fantastic!! Extreme NEWBIE- SORRY

Okay so please bare with me on this, i will explain as concisely as i can :)

Okay so i've owned my Corrado for the last 6 months, and never have i had to do so much studying and investigation for one car. But i do love it and so i will continue.

Spec and work carried out so far:

Rebuilt Stage 2 Charger with new oil & return lines

65mm Pulley

Sns Stage 5 chip

3.5bar FPR

RSR Outlet

Replaced all guide pulleys

Cambelt & Tensioner & auxillary belts

All sensor switches/blue/black/oil/rad etc

Standard Green Injectors

Basically i've just had my MOT and apart from it failing on the structual integrity of the subframe (i'm replacing the entire front suspension now :( it has failed miserably on the emissions.

Around 6% CO on ide, and over 7% on load..............I KNOW Right!!

Hydrocarbons Were good!

Car currently has, custom exhaust, no cat, cat bypass pipe with lambda sesnor.

Now my thinking is the car is overfueling, too much unburnt fuel in the exhaust, i do get pretty bad fuel consumption, around 23-25mpg, i also get a lovely flame on gear change under Wide open throttle.

Regardless of this the car does pull really well,and moves like rocket.

What can i do to bring the fueling under control?

I know theres a co potentiometer on the boost pipe, can this be tweaked?

Would it help?

Should i check lambda sesnor?

Idle Switch? Dont know anthing about this?

What is service mode?

Can the timing affect the fueling?

Sorry for this, i've never had to get so indepth with a car before, but i do enjoy learning

Really would appreciate any help at all. I don't want her blowing up! Thanks!

Hi, most of us G60 owners have had these issues and it can be a number of things. An emissions tester, multi-meter and a timing light would be a handy investment. The CO pot can be adjusted via a screw under the blue cap. Checking it's resistance on the two outer pins should be around 500 ohms on a standard set up but given the mods you have it'll have need to be set up correctly but If it's not chucking out black smoke and running fine it's likely this is all that's needed. But without you being able to test the emissions there isn't much that can be achieved bar checking resistances of the CO pot, both throttles switches, blue temp sender and lambda. Ignition timing also, especially if it's not been checked since the cam belts been changed and will definately interfere with the combustion. Plenty guides out there on how to check various things and set it up. Also check the vac pipe that goes from the back of the throttle to the ecu is intact and on the correct nipple along with being exactly 1m in length as that too will screw up fueling.

P.s. - Ecu vac/boost pipe should be on the nipple nearest the top, pointing slightly towards drivers side. The other, lower and pointing slightly the other way, goes to the carbon cannister pipework and only reads vacuum so if the're round the wrong way then it's the likely the problem. Unlikely, but worth checking.

Edited by Gti_Jamo