andrewjorgenson

Turn signals do not work, hazards do.

I need help troubleshooting the turn signals on my 1990 G60 Corrado. I don't really know what the cause is and it's a electrical problem.

My hazard/emergency lights work(though I do have a bad front right bulb, I don't think that's related I just plan on replacing it once I get my turn signals working). I don't believe it's my switch because when I turn it the light on the dash does come on but it doesn't flash and there's no clicking sound. I'm assuming it could possibly be a relay then, but when I looked at a diagram I didn't see any relay labeled for the turn signals.

I bought the car this way. Also there is a bunch of missing relays on the fuse box but as I said I can't find which relay is responsible for the turn signals.

Any tips on trouble shooting this is greatly appreciated, turn signals are kinda sorta important.

A closer look at the diagram revealed a bigger problem including the problem with the turn signals. Almost none of my relays are even the proper match, including the hazard+turn signal one.

Mimjed, if you still have that 90 g60 could you please pull your #6 relay for me and take a picture of the diagram and the side with the part number? I'd really appreciate it.

Edited by andrewjorgenson

Had to take a break from the car because life events, now I'm back. I have the correct number 21 relay(111 953 227D) which is in working order. The problem is still there. I've checked the number 17 fuse and it was fine. When I use the turn signal switch, the light comes on but doesn't flash and there's no clicking sound. However, my hazards still work fine. I'm assuming the turn signal knob on the steering column is fine.

This is a big head scratcher for me because I can't fathom of what else could be the cause of this problem.

Any help would be strongly appreciated.

You say the hazards work, but don't say what symptoms you do have with the indicators?

Make sure the earth points on all 4 corners are connected, clean and tight. Check the earth on the steering column too

You say the hazards work, but don't say what symptoms you do have with the indicators?

Make sure the earth points on all 4 corners are connected, clean and tight. Check the earth on the steering column too

I don't know what you meant by symptoms, so I took a quick video to show it.

Also the first time I used the turn signal in the video it did that flicker thing. It has never done that before. I'm wondering if I didn't have the switch in far enough in or if it was a new symptom. It could be negligible.

Forgive me for my inexperience, but all 4 corners of what? The car?

All four corners of the car or each of the indicator lights if you prefer.

Remove each of the bulbs and make sure the bulb holders are clean, make sure the bulbs themselves are clean and correctly fitted.

Follow the wiring from each of the lamps and make sure the earth tags screwed to the cars chassis are clean, tight and secure.

Replace any bulbs that are suspect.

Faulty indicators may not illuminate at all, illuminate but not flash, flash too fast, flash too slow.

Have a look at the rear of the fuse board, make sure all the multiplugs are home and the black release 'spine' pin that locks them into the board is home (it slides about 10mm and should be flush with the end of the board if it's in locked position). From memory the yellow plugs cover lights.

Also check the multiplug to the rear of the instrument clocks is correctly seated.

The multiplugs are a pain to plug in (limited access under the dash) and can easily be incorrectly seated before the spine pin is pushed home, if it looks like someone has recently worked on the fuse board it could be an issue with this.

Just found the link to the CE2 info

http://www.a2resource.com/electrical/CE2.html

All four corners of the car or each of the indicator lights if you prefer.

Remove each of the bulbs and make sure the bulb holders are clean, make sure the bulbs themselves are clean and correctly fitted.

Follow the wiring from each of the lamps and make sure the earth tags screwed to the cars chassis are clean, tight and secure.

Replace any bulbs that are suspect.

Faulty indicators may not illuminate at all, illuminate but not flash, flash too fast, flash too slow.

The front right bulb that wasn't working just wasn't put in properly. I readjusted it and now it works. All bulbs are now functional(hazards work on all bulbs now), same issue with the turn signal switch still exists.

I have tried relay type 191 and 21, neither fix the problem. Both 191 and 21 work.

I still need to check grounds. There's hardly any room in the engine bay and it's very difficult to determine where things are going.

Give the relays a shove back in, normally happens when they come loose.

I have tried this, it didn't resolve the problem.

Have a look at the rear of the fuse board, make sure all the multiplugs are home and the black release 'spine' pin that locks them into the board is home (it slides about 10mm and should be flush with the end of the board if it's in locked position). From memory the yellow plugs cover lights.

Also check the multiplug...

Though visibility was very limited, I did my best to make sure all of the connectors were fully inserted by applying pressure. I didn't feel any of them push in any more and the problem still remains unresolved.

What do you mean by 'the spine'?

Thank you, everyone, for your help. It means a lot to me to have a community that is willing to take time out of their day to help some random guy on the internet.

The spine appears fine too. I think I'm going to order a new switch for the turn signal and see if that resolves the problem. Hopefully I don't run into any compatibility issues buying the non-cruise control version when mine is cruise control. (non-cruise version is $11, cruise control version is $120).

New part should arrive on tuesday so I'll probably update the thread some time next week.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Edited by andrewjorgenson