AngusL

Wiring question

Hi Guys,

Noob here - 1995 VR6 that I am getting downright NASTY with...

I have done the Heater Matrix job - Messy but not the end of the world and Heater flaps all working well.. Had a look at the wiring and what is this mess ? It works OK, so is all connected properly - I had a bit of an intermittent speedo which I though would be a bad earth. I have cleaned up the earth wheel but looking at this mess resting on my fuse box... I don't know what's gone on here and it would take me weeks to chop and shorten this mess.

Can anyone shed any light on what this extra wiring may be - there is a lot of it and I can't see any consistent chopping and rejoins? See attachment. The picture is terrible but you can see miles of cables.

Cheers

Angus

Hi Angus, it's probably remnants of an aftermarket alarm, or stuff from one that's fitted. Trace the wiring back if you can, and remove anything not needed. I've just replaced my entire interior looms due to this. There are some single pin connectors attached to terminal blocks, which should slot in on the top of the fuse box. Also a single relay and fuse which should be housed on the box too. Mine were all dangling down and I didn't know what they were for! It's worth removing them from where they were spliced in if you can. Gives you chance to clean up the join, and solder and heatsink properly rather than just put a bit of electrical tape over it which some "pro" alarm fitters seem to do. :rolleyes:

Hi Sean,

You were right it was alarm fitters doings. They had stripped out the sheathing on the main wires for about 30 cm and left the wires bare so what I did was unplug each plug in turn from the fuse box and simply resheath with masking tape.

What a difference it makes. My fuse box can now be accessed much easier. There wasn't any redundant wiring as the alarm is still working fine. Total closure and central locking too.

I put the dash back in and am happy again that the car is driveable now.

Top marks to VW for building such a solid car now it's all back together I have a greater appreciation for the way the car was built. Fiddly to strip but solid when put back together properly.

Mine is a Dragon Green Pearl as well.

Cheers.