MZpog

Alternator or battery?

Battery was changed for a known good one before the test (this was showing 12.6 after a rest). Tried adding some RPM but no change in voltage when I'd have expected it to raise a bit. Also no belt squeal during the test.

Have bitten the bullet and bought a new alternator and hopefully this'll cure the problem.

well let us know how it goes id be interested

on a side note i had roughly the same problem with an old mini i changed the battery ,alternator but it turned out to merely be the alternator belt replaced with a new one problem gone

cheers stu ..

well let us know how it goes id be interested

on a side note i had roughly the same problem with an old mini i changed the battery ,alternator but it turned out to merely be the alternator belt replaced with a new one problem gone

cheers stu ..

Alternator replaced and charging is resumed. I do however need an smaller belt as the 950mm is now at max adjustment. I believe the 950mm is the wrong belt for my raddo as it always seemed too long (see other thread).

Alternator replaced and charging is resumed. I do however need an smaller belt as the 950mm is now at max adjustment. I believe the 950mm is the wrong belt for my raddo as it always seemed too long (see other thread).

I had similar on my old MK2 Golf 16v. Everyone supplied a belt that was just slightly too long - eventually found the right one.

Partsbase is good (usually) for verify things like belt sizes - http://www.partsbase.org/vw/eu/

yep, GSF etc can be rubbish for belts, the proper parts are odd sizes in between the standard factor sizes, in fact the genuine VW ones aren't even 10mm wide (standard V belt width) they are 9.5mm!

2.0 16v alternator belt (non aircon) should be 950mm x 9.5mm part no. 026 903 137C

oh, and don't trust partsbase, the info for Corrado 16v's al looks wrong to me, as if it was 16v mk3 golf parts!!

Edited by davidwort

Well to update the situation, the 865 was too short despite being listed for my car so it'll be going back.

Looking at the difference in the Dayco belt that was about 2 months old and the Continental new belt, there is a massive difference in the width of the v's, the Continental looking much chunkier.

It's looking like a 950 Continental will be purchased and I'll never buy a Dayco again as it was way too long when new and seemingly crap quality as it didn't last.