MZpog

2.0 16v 9a alternator belt size?

After exhausting the search and getting no where, can anyone tell me the size of belt required to run the alternator (I best change it whilst its in bits).

I want to pick one up on my why home so can't look at the car to see if any numbers on the one fitted.

Read somewhere (but failed to find) that suppliers sometimes provide the wrong length belt.

Any help would be appreciated.

Stuart.

Stuart afraid I dont have the info to hand (at work)

but if its any comfort, TMS supplied me with the correct size of belt for my 2.0 9A.

Not a guarantee you will get the correct one, but I didnt have to tell them the part number ro belt size/diameter.

Hope this helps,

Dougie

After exhausting the search and getting no where, can anyone tell me the size of belt required to run the alternator (I best change it whilst its in bits).

I want to pick one up on my why home so can't look at the car to see if any numbers on the one fitted.

Read somewhere (but failed to find) that suppliers sometimes provide the wrong length belt.

Any help would be appreciated.

Stuart.

Item description

This is a 21,36 x 894mm alternator belt for the following cars:

Volkswagen

Corrado 2.0 8v (not for cars with 120amp alternator)

This is a new, genuine Volkswagen part.

Part number Superseded by Alternative part numbers

037 903 137E -

If you need assistance in checking that this is right for your car before you order, or if you would like to discuss this item we can be contacted on 01531 640800.

hope this helps thats from deutpart off ebay

cheers

stu ..

Well I've checked the belt recently sold as the correct for my corrado and its a Dayco 10A0950C which on looking up is 950mm long and was probably the wrong part for my car (no wonder it had hardly any adjustment).

When trying to find the correct length, I note 4 sizes are listed - 630mm, 730mm, 865mm & 950mm.

I assume the smaller sizes are for the power steering pump and guess I need the 865mm - Can anyone confirm?

Thanks,

Stuart.

Alternator: 950mm

PAS: 630mm (although I find that too tight and difficult to get over the pulleys so use a 635mm)

Tim

Alternator: 950mm

PAS: 630mm (although I find that too tight and difficult to get over the pulleys so use a 635mm)

Tim

950 is what I have on my alternator and from new it been at max adjustment so its too long. :scratch:

950 is what I have on my alternator and from new it been at max adjustment so its too long. :scratch:

That's what I've used on mine. Is it loose/slipping at maximum adjustment? Could always ask for one 10mm shorter.

That's what I've used on mine. Is it loose/slipping at maximum adjustment? Could always ask for one 10mm shorter.

Yes, it slips at max adjustment (alternator closest to the block). I'd have expected a new belt to be at min/mid adjustment. I know the 950mm was longer that the glazed one it replaced but it didn't have any size markings.

Just found this http://www.mister-auto.co.uk/en/drive-belt/contitech-avx10x865_g305_a031AVX10X865.html that suggests the 865mm fits the Passat (same engine)

Edited by MZpog

Ooops updated the other (related) thread.....cut/paste time.....Well to update the situation, the 865 was too short despite being listed for my car so it'll be going back.

Looking at the difference in the Dayco belt that was about 2 months old and the Continental new belt, there is a massive difference in the width of the v's, the Continental looking much chunkier.

It's looking like a 950 Continental will be purchased and I'll never buy a Dayco again as it was way too long when new and seemingly crap quality as it didn't last.

Ooops updated the other (related) thread.....cut/paste time.....Well to update the situation, the 865 was too short despite being listed for my car so it'll be going back.

Looking at the difference in the Dayco belt that was about 2 months old and the Continental new belt, there is a massive difference in the width of the v's, the Continental looking much chunkier.

It's looking like a 950 Continental will be purchased and I'll never buy a Dayco again as it was way too long when new and seemingly crap quality as it didn't last.

run a piece of cord/string around the pulleys and measure it's length, be interesting to see what you come up with, one thing I will say is that there are several sized alternator pulleys and it's not uncommon for a replacement to have the wrong size for a 16v, even VW supplied the wrong size to me when I ordered one to the chassis number!

Just checked my valver's belt and it's 9.5x950mm. The alternator bracket is right at the end of its adjustment but it does tension up no problem. I've always found the same with my MK2s as well.

Just checked my valver's belt and it's 9.5x950mm. The alternator bracket is right at the end of its adjustment but it does tension up no problem. I've always found the same with my MK2s as well.

Seems wrong doesn't it, having loads of movement on the adjuster but the tension needed is found at the end of movement. I'd have expected it to start mid point at least.

Couldn't agree more! You'd think you'd be mid-way on the adjuster. I spent a lot of time trying to source the right one for my old MK2 Golf 16v and ended up the same place as you.