Reverend Frog

Changed steering wheel and horn stays on

Hi guys

I changed my VR6's steering wheel last weekend - from a 16v wheel to a proper VR6 one. God knows why it had an inferior wheel on it in the first place, but anyway.

Now when I turn the ignition on the horn blares continuously. I have taken the fuse out temporarily, but what have I done to cause this? I'm pretty sure it's an issue with relays or something, and not a connection issue with the horn push, which seems fine. I have read (after the event, obviously), that you should disconnect the battery when changing the wheel.

any ideas?

cheers

Rick

You are now finding out that the 16V does in fact have a superior wheel!

I know you are saying it is not a connection issue, have you checked that the sapde terminal is not fouling the brass plate?

I had this issue when straightening the wheel after suspension work.

Dougie

The steering wheel was sold with everything connected as I assume it came out of the donor car, so I'd be surprised if they were the wrong way round.

I should point out that one way to cure the issue is to turn the ignition off, remove the fuse, turn the ignition on, press the horn push, hear the relay click, ignition off, fuse back in, problem solved, horn works as normal.

I've swapped wheels on mine a couple of times and this always seems to happen. I just stripped the horn pad off and put it back together and it worked ok