Hairyarse

VR6 front engine mount help

Ok I'm a bit baffled on this one.

I noticed after getting the car that it appeared that one of the front engine mount bolts is missing, as below;

2015-02-02122628_zpse28ece08.jpg

I ordered a couple of new bolts from VW, this part;

2015-02-02121810_zps9f833c57.jpg

I went to fit it today after jacking the engine to line up the holes and the bolt just falls in, so the diameter seems wrong. They're number 13 on Partsbase diagram here - http://www.partsbase.org/vw/corrado-cor-eu-1993-51-securing-parts-for-engine/

If I should have got number 15, that's still M10 so that seems wrong too. Also on the diagram it shows both bolts being fitted with heads facing the passenger side of the car, but this missing one would be facing the driver's side.

I have got two bolts in currently, one on the passenger side, adjacent to the starter motor - here;

2015-02-02122619_zps868894c7.jpg

..and on the opposite side of the mount there's a threaded end of a bolt poking out which I assume is a starter motor bolt. The missing one I'm guessing is to prevent and rotation of the engine in this mount (and why on gearchanges it seems as if there is movement.)

My problem is I don't know what missing now as it's not listed.

I hope the above makes sense and would appreciate some advice if anyone knows the answer.

Many thanks

Andy :thumbleft:

2012-08-11135935.jpg

Pic of mine fitted. Not great but all I could find. You might need to zoom in.

You are right. The one sticking out is a long bolt from the starter motor.

Also there is one bolt fitted from oil cooler side. Can be quite tough to fit. I wonder if that's why it was left off.

I have bolts and mounts sat around somewhere. I could have a measure if needed.

Thanks for the pic Jim. I have zoomed in but can't really make it out. If you have got anything kicking around you can measure that would be great!

Assuming I've got the right hole then I should be able to get the bolt in ok, just need to fathom which bolt! lol

Thanks again :thumbleft:

I'm not sure what the m10 bolts shown are for. Must be something else.

If you look up the parts diagram from transmission mounting. It shows the correct 3 bolts. And they show up as m12.

A bit confusing. but am sure it's the m12 ones.

Oh brilliant, thanks for that Jim!! :thumbleft:

It's odd how they list the bolts in different sections. It looks like no 13 is what I need. Will get on to my stealer this morning ;)

Thanks again Jim - will update for info once I have the bolt ;)

No problem, am trying to figure out the m10 bolts and where they go, i bet that's not the first time its caused confusion

I'm guessing the top one under the starter motor is one of the M10s.

I've ordered from VW this morning. It was about £4.20 but hopefully will be correct!

Got the bolt from VW today and promptly fitted it. It is the right one this time;

2015-02-05140136_zps8a924b3e.jpg

Once I got the block and mount lined up I just about had enough space to get the bolt in and tighten with fingers before there was enough room for a ring spanner;

2015-02-05143435_zps7fe5b008.jpg

However, it's not sorted my problem at all :( Unless I'm super smooth with gear changes, I get a dull thud/clonk every time I go in to second, and to a lesser degree third. I'm still convinced it's engine/box mount related so back to the drawing board and more scratching around :p

Check where the gearbox mount bolts to the gearbox, i've missed a bolt out of the three there, as its hard to get in if you fit things in the wrong order (have sorted mine now though)

Will do, I'll get it back on the ramps and have a nose. If one is missing I'm hoping it's the same size as the wrong ones I bought the other day! lol

In order to change the front mount I assume you can just loosen the two rear mount bolts and raise the front off the mount to swop it out? The gap needs to then be the height of the mount, or is there an easier way? Thanks

As far as im aware fla you should just be able to loosen the fron one off copleyely and then make sure there is a jack under the sump or box and justjack it up and you should have enough room to swap it over

Hi Andy,

Mine did the same thing on Friday shedding that lower engine bracket bolt. I had a few more complications as a result of the engine movement though.

All in hand now.

The interesting thing is I used your pics of what you ordered labelled as the right part and gave your order number to my local VW dealer and they didn't show it as that number it was something else. I don't have the details yet as I will be picking it up on Friday but it is a M10 x 45mm bolt which are the dimensions I recall seeing in the other forums. Also yours doesn't have a load spreading flange which they should have. Anyway I ordered the same part so will see what turns up and I will post the number on here to help others who will need this at some point. I was tempted to get a std stainless steel M10 x 45mm bolt on ebay but I think its ebay seller GTI_LINE shows the correct bolt with a picture of a partially threaded bolt with the flange.

Cheers guys keep up the posting as were all seeing the same issues and it helps.

Angus

Guys that bolt is a PITA to get the right size - so far I have tried 3 different dealer supplied bolts and I have had to resort to Halfords and get a M12*80 bolt and cut the damned thing down to size. I have seen a parts diagram that refers to M12*58mm got the Halfords bolt cut it down to 58mm and it still wont wind in far enough...Got to cut a bit more off it to get it to fit - PITA. It does not show up on the front engine mount diagrams but it appears to be on the gearbox bolts diagram. Look for the diagram of the oil sump / flywheel shield and its on there.

I can see its a M12 but length is a bit of a mystery - its obviously less than the 58mm long threaded part suggested in the diagrams I have seen.

Guys that bolt is a PITA to get the right size - so far I have tried 3 different dealer supplied bolts and I have had to resort to Halfords and get a M12*80 bolt and cut the damned thing down to size. I have seen a parts diagram that refers to M12*58mm got the Halfords bolt cut it down to 58mm and it still wont wind in far enough...Got to cut a bit more off it to get it to fit - PITA. It does not show up on the front engine mount diagrams but it appears to be on the gearbox bolts diagram. Look for the diagram of the oil sump / flywheel shield and its on there.

I can see its a M12 but length is a bit of a mystery - its obviously less than the 58mm long threaded part suggested in the diagrams I have seen.

If mine were only so straightforward guys..? I had to buy a boroscope to look into the hole to see what was going on as I could not get any bolt far enough into the hole. Boroscope showed a broken bolt bit left in there.... After 4 weeks .... well 2 weeks headscratching and 2 weeks holiday not knowing how to get the broken bit out I gave up and gave it to a garage. Broken bolt confirmed in there. Gearbox off job. I managed to get a crank seal replaced whilst they were at it but at least the threads were good in the broken off part. All done now and threadlocked in. Just a lighter wallet! Car Motd and back in business with the new brake setup working a treat now.

Many thanks to Chris (Lilfuzzer) for getting some pics of original bolt so at least I had a starting point.