Dekerf1996

4 stud to 5 stud conversion

Hi,

Forgive the newbie question but it's my first corrado.

I have had a look through and done a search but found nothing.

So I have a 4 stud corrado and thinking of going 5 stud, how easy and what's needed for it?

I have some 288mm brakes and hubs off my vr6 as I am going for Porsche brakes on that, so hoping to use them if possible?

Thanks

For the front, I think you'll need: wishbones (with bushes), drive-shafts (need to check drive-flange fitting into gearbox/diff), hub-carriers, bearings, caliper carriers, anti-roll bar, discs and hubs.

The rear is a bit more straight forward as most VW rear beams are the same width and you can use stub axle spacers to get desired width/track.

Then you need to choose which 5-stud conversion you go for as VR6, Mk3 and Passat B3/B4 all have slightly different track width.

It's a relatively easy swap once you have all the bits. Why do you want to convert to 5 stud?

If you want to do any sort of track/racing work, I personally think staying 4 stud is the better options unless you go down the much more challenging TTRS type route.

Was only thinking as i was struggling to find any decent wheels for my car, and i want better brakes up front.

It also happens that i am replacing most of those bits on the front of my Golf VR6 as i refresh and uprate things ready for the little power increase i am planning on

So i can use my VR6 set up and it all pretty much bolts on.

As for track work, nah this car isn't fast enough, will be saving that for my 1.0 polo (with a few mods of course) or the charged VR if its fast enough. This car is just another daily, but i need it to stop well and look reasonable!!!

If you've got all the bits then why not.

Most OEM bits handle much more power fine. I run almost 400bhp through mine and it gets properly worked on a regular basis. Just make sure you get decent bushes, bearings (SKF) and CV's (GKN), everything else should be up to the job unless you particularly want to change it.

Bear in mind the 5 stud Corrado VR's had wider wings to take account of the wider track amongst other things. I think all late Corrados had the wider wings so you may already have them.

Yes I am only freshing the bits on my golf as I am going to be upping the power to around 300bhp and thought I might as well, to make sure they are the right quality ones and more importantly nice and shiney.

Apparently the previous owner changed stuff not that long ago, hence why I am thinking on sticking them on the Corrado. Just seems an easy way to get 288mm brakes and a wider range of wheels (that i have already) to fit the corrado, esp as they will be going spare. Think i will only have to get some drive shafts and the rear stub axles.

As for the wider track, I do have a late Corrado, which the wheels are hiding in the arches and the are 7's so that might help then!!!