Reverend Frog

Yet another electric window issue

I've searched through a fair few threads and still can't get a definitive answer as to why my passenger window intermittently stops working. obviously there is power getting to it and the switches work, otherwise the window would never operate.

I'd been having the problem for quite a while, so investigated the central locking wiring in the passenger door last week and lo and behold, two of the three wires had been severed by the window mechanism (the back and brown - the red was still intact)

I fixed this and the window started working (as did my central locking on the passenger side obviously!)

But today it's stopped again. what the hell is this?

I get clicking from the control unit OK. I'm stumped.

driver's side is always fine

Mines the other way round the drivers sometimes fails to open. Checked all wiring and all is okay i can only think its the motor on the regulator

Mines is the passenger window open/closes slower than driver

And central lock work with driver key

But not from inside

Lol I too have intermittent fault on drivers side... Try it doesn't work but get a click like it's trying. Do it another couple of times but press switch up and down and it works but some times sticks on way up or down but just for a second or two

I am thinking of removing both door cards and giving the central locking mechanism a good clean!

How did you repair it? Could be high resistance in wire due to strands being damaged.

snipped the wires, exposed the ends neatly, then used a little terminal block

interesting - mine is the drivers side

i had read somewhere that someone had found it to be an issue with the connections into the window controller box

IIRC the box is behind the rear passenger drivers side door card (which would correspond to where i can hear mine clicking)

said person removed, cleaned & reseated the connections to the controller & issue was fixed

if i can find a gap on a weekend when im not booked to work on the house it is a job on my list

In the summer mines usually fine its when wet weather arrives. Once happened on the m6 toll approaching the pay booth and nope it wouldnt open. Opened the door and tried up and down a few times and then it worked. From then on everytime i went down the M6 i tried the window before i went on the toll.

Update: have noticed today that when the window is immobile, the passenger side mirror will not respond when I try to adjust it the first time. On the second attempt it usually moves and this also spurs the window into life. definitely a connection (no pun intended) between those two. anyone shed any light on why this may be?