paceo

fitting 263 cams, do i need to use original timing marks? any guides?

ive got some brand new 263 cams to go in my vr6 2.9 engine, do you just set the timing to the original marks as standard cams? or knock it back a tooth as they valves will be open for longer with the higher lift so don't want a piston hitting a valve. don't need to change my sprockets do I?

also take it I need cam locking tools? what about cam timing disk?

also is there a guide on here? kind regards

Edited by paceo

Std sprockets, same position as std cams. Cam timing is set with the locking tool so just make sure bottom end is set at tdc when top is and then chain em up :)

yes going to whip the timing chain covers off jim and check, the crank one needs to be at 9pm and intermediate at 12pm i think? marks will be on engine, really could do with a hand as ive never touched a vr6 engine timing wise and im making myself paranoid now!! im in south london over the water!

Edited by paceo

Yeah intermediate arrow needs to point to 12 O'clock. The crank one doesn't always line up with the marker on the seal housing 100%, but so long as the intermediate one is spot on, all is well.

Yeah intermediate arrow needs to point to 12 O'clock. The crank one doesn't always line up with the marker on the seal housing 100%, but so long as the intermediate one is spot on, all is well.

cool, i also notice the flywheel has a marking on it? never knew this? does the flywheel only go on one way then so i cant muck that up??? im an rs turbo man originally!!

Pics from when i did mine, Vince at Stealth talked me through it so i did what he said.

On the crank gear (might not be the correct term), there is one tooth with the edge ground off, this should line up with the split in the casing.

20141006_211509.jpg

The flywheel will only fit one way, one the hole/bolts is offset to the others, you will notice it when you hold it up in front of you.

The pulley on the other end should have a little notch to line up with a mark on the engine cover.

20141006_211550.jpg

The intermediate sprocket should line up to 12 o'clock position as Kev says, it was hard to get a good pic

20141006_211518.jpg

20141006_211445.jpg

And then cams should look like this, one lobe is bigger than the others, the cam locking tool only fits in one way anyway

20141006_211538.jpg

Top chain slackness is on the right side so the tensioner takes it up.

20141006_211343.jpg

^^Think thats quite hard to get wrong, its just a case of getting the chain onto each gear wheel tooth in the right place. I rested the intermediate sprocket in the chain and then fit it to the engine. you might have to reposition the intermediate sprocket on the chain a couple of times to get it right.

cool, mine is at tdc but the cams are the other way to yours? or does the camshaft spin two times everytime the crank pulley does one spin?

also engine is empty of oil, is it ok to gently turn it over by hand? ive emptied oil recently

camssss_zpszrmq3m7m.jpg

cams_zpspfh3pvkb.jpg

Yeah should be fine to turn over by hand. I've been doing mine every so often since building it. Its been sat around since August.

I'd turn it over so crank pulley did another turn and then check the cams and intermediate sprocket.