Sign in to follow this  
dazzyvr6

whats the best mod you have done to your c?

get your self a voltmeter..and test volts at battery..then at the headlamps

trust the man..relays rock...best mod you can do

headlight wiring looms now ready for shipping please contact us everyone who is intrested.

As far as i understand it, it is the voltage that drops, as someone said, there will be a pd (potential difference) between the source (i.e. battery) and the bulbs.

It is possible to get a 2v drop over a length of wire. Looking at amp wires, around 1 volt is the norm for a fully functioning system - obviously this is a longer run of wire, but its the same principle.

If the wire/loom is too thin/ light for the applicaiton, then there will be un neccessary current draw caused by the resistance of the wire.

Maths bit (from what i can remember - correct me if i wrong here guys!)

ohms law is V = IR

Voltage = Current x Resistance.

For this example, lets say that voltage is 14v, and resistance of wires etc is 10 ohms.

This means that V = IR

therefore I = V/R

so I = 14/10

= 1.4A

If the resistance is reduced (by using thicker wires) to say, 5 ohms, then the following changes will occur:

V = IR

therefore I = V/R

So I = 14/5

= 2.8A

Thus there is more current flowing in the circuit, because there is less resistance.

More current will give the headlight bulbs more power in effect, which means they can shine brighter.

On the other hand, Dont be fooled into thinking it is just current however. Voltage increases to a bulb will make them shine brighter also, this is because:

P = VI

Power = Voltage x Current

If voltage is 14v, and current is 2A, the power will be 28W

If we now drop 2v and the voltage is 12v, the power will be 24W for a current of 2A.

This is why when the engine is running all lights in a car are always a bit brighter (interior lights, headlights etc), because there is more voltage which will produce more power.

To sum up then-

By raising voltage (by having engine running), current is caused to rise (for a fixed load i.e. bulbs etc) This is becasue voltage is directly proportional to current in ohms law. Similarly, if Voltage drops, current will fall.

Although it seem like the current is rising and falling indepandantly, it is actually the voltage that causes the current to change. The current will alter in proportion to the voltage change.

It is only when the resistance changes, that the current will change independantly of voltage. In this case the higher the current, the more power will be produced.

As said earlier, V = IR, which means that Current and Resistance are Inversly Proportional, so when resistance rises, current will fall:

14 = 1.4 x 10

If resistance rises from 10 to 14ohms:

14 = 1 x 14

See that the current drops from 1.4A to just 1A.

Power wise, this means that instead of P=VI

14 x 1.4 = 19.6W

It is now

14 x 1 = 14W

So in the case of the shite wiring loom, the more resistance it gives, the less current it will pass, meaning the less power the bulbs get.

When replaced by more capable wire, the more current is allowed thru, and the more power the bulbs get.

Pheeew!

Hope that makes sence to some, bit confusing i know and i prob didnt expain it in the easiest way!

Don't be sorry m8,

At least the whole thing is now explained in writing for the archive.

I found it interesting although it'll probably take me the rest of the week to fully understand it all :)

Watford16vc and corradog60s

How are the side protection strips attached to the C??? How did you Remove them???

Can you put that in idiots terms please, only joking!!

:lol:

If the wire if fatter, it carrys more juice, which makes the lights shine brighter.

If the wire if fatter, it carrys more juice, which makes the lights shine brighter.

simpler please :wink:

simpler please :wink:

fat = more thin = less :p

Steve,

like your dissertation mate I'm sure that'll help those new to ohms law.

I haven't bothered yet but intend to do full before & after V & A readings when the kit arrives

Side mouldings,

When I removed mine I thought the car looked a bit lost. The problem I thought with the mouldings is that they were a bit to bulky. I know they have to be to protect the car however, some newer cars only have them for show and some, like the TT don't have any at all.

My personal preference was to have the mouldings but nice slim, modern looking ones.

I looked around a few scrap yards for some but could not find any long enough to fit the c.

As I have use of a CNC router at work I decided to try and make my own. I ended up using polished aluminium which worked a treat. Nice and slim and matched perfectly with the TT rims.

I will get some pictures soon (promise), and I can also show some other little things I've made for the c as well i.e. TT dead pedal etc..

Now, where can I get my hands on one of those digital cameras?

get those pictures mate!

you're doing what i wish i could do, custom parts for my c with a CNC machine! :p

have you ported your charger with it yet??? :twisted:

i have removed my side mouldings! and for what its worth i now feel the car is looking far more up to date and smooth :p

8vg60, Yeah that is a good mod.You have to be careful where you park now. Cos when you park in a car park you can be guaranteed that some old fizzer or young mum with ten kids will park next to you throw the doors open and leave your C with lovely parking dings :!: :!: Just remember to take two parking spaces everywhere.You know it makes sense :lol: :lol: 8)

My best mod must be my Tarox 6 pot brake conversion. Tasty brakes and they look the business what more can you ask for.

8vg60, Yeah that is a good mod.You have to be careful where you park now. Cos when you park in a car park you can be guaranteed that some old fizzer or young mum with ten kids will park next to you throw the doors open and leave your C with lovely parking dings :!: :!: Just remember to take two parking spaces everywhere.You know it makes sense :lol: :lol: 8)

Looking at my brothers the other day, isnt the upper line of the door (i.e. tne line just below the handle) actually further out than the protection strip sits - meaning there is no more protection with the strips on!

looks like a car door would hit the door before it hit the protection strip?

mite be wrong but thats what it looked like to me?!

I believe its true - i still have the protection strips on and car park dents too. Ive heard they are quite tricky to get off anyway (removes some paint if not done carefully!)

Done a few things to the car in the last couple of months:

Magnex exhaust

Passat handles

K & N/removed snorkel/drilled airbox

removed the 16v badges

Swapped the colour coded Corrado badge for a new silver one

Changed the chrome VW badges to black ones

Gotta say, I'm pleased with all of them. The Passat handles are a real must- really easy to do (cheers Ant!), cheap and more secure. They look better too.

Airbox is a must too (Jim!). Bit of a bugger getting it out, but all in all pretty easy- the car feels more responsive and the sound is phenominal! :twisted:

V. impressed with the exhaust too.

Hopefully the lights will be tinted this week, and I'm gonna colour code the grill when I've got time.