squall457

VR6 Storm Wanted

Hey all, I'm looking to buy a tidy VR6 Storm, mostly original, with a budget around £4k.. is this realistic? At the moment I can only find one for sale online but it's in Glasgow and I'm in Sussex so a bit far.

Anybody know of one for sale? Thanks!

Be prepared to travel to find the right one. There aren't exactly a lot for sale as you're not doubt finding :)

Yep. Not many around. Most VR6's seem to have well over 100k miles on the clock & surprise surprise haven't had the chain/tensioners/clutch job carried out. Budget for another £2k if that hasn't been done.

Ha yeh you're right, but something about it made me think I've seen better for less and it'll cost me a lot of money to go and view it.. But maybe I should just ask more questions!

I was also budgeting around £1k a year in maintenance for first couple years.. Is it the clutch that's the most expensive job? I've had a Porchse 944 before so I'm familiar with expensive chain/tensioner jobs but I thought it would be a bit less on these?

As I understand it if you're planning on getting chains & tensioners done then you may as well get the clutch done at the same time as it's only another hour or so in labour as 90% of the work getting at it is done. Vice-versa, absolutely no point getting a new clutch & not doing the chain & tensioners unless they've recently been replaced or it's a really low miler with a quiet chain. Apart from piece of mind it's a massive resale bonus in a few years time if you find another or want to just move on.

Ok I'm in. New chain/tensioner kit & VR6 clutch for £250. What could possibly go wrong... :shrug:

I have a chisel & a phillips screwdriver. No previous engineering experience apart from changing an air filter & a fuel pump relay. What other tools & equipment do I need for these jobs & how much would they cost?

Ha yeh you're right, but something about it made me think I've seen better for less and it'll cost me a lot of money to go and view it.. But maybe I should just ask more questions!

I was also budgeting around £1k a year in maintenance for first couple years.. Is it the clutch that's the most expensive job? I've had a Porchse 944 before so I'm familiar with expensive chain/tensioner jobs but I thought it would be a bit less on these?

1K/year should be a perfectly comfortable war chest if you buy a reasonably well looked after one.

1K/year should be a perfectly comfortable war chest if you buy a reasonably well looked after one.

Agreed. mine has been way under that and I've only ever done preventative maintainence jobs so could have spent even less if I was a leave it to fail kinda guy. Goog cars do come up fs Mr poster, worth waiting and travelling for the right one.

You should wait for the wheeler dealers car, not a storm but should be all sorted when it's finished. They have to do quite a lot of checks (not on camera) before they can sell them on.