Drucey

1.8 16v (kr) starting problem

Hi everyone, I have a strange problem which seems to come every few months. Hopefully someone might be able to help me? drove my car to work last night with no problems at all, when leaving to drive home it sort of splutter starting and then would not fire up, would just turn over and over.. Popped the bonnet and had a look for loose wires etc.. Did spot that my battery was covered in water, know this is a problem with the corrado, and ordered a cover today. Is it possible this is the problem? I think I have flooded the engine trying to turn it over and over, it has happened b4 and in the past if you try it a day or 2 later seems to fire up with no problems! Can you flood these engines? All the electric system is new and serviced very well new dizzy,plugs etc.. Would love to know if you can flood the engine. Me keep try to turn it over and over makes me think this is the problem? And the water all over the battery causing the problem. Thanks for any help.

I wouldn't think that water on the battery would affect it, plus it was cranking so must have power. As for the cranking/not start, my 2.0 valver used to sometimes turn over but not start when I had an old metering head fitted which I presume was sticking. Found out (ok my mechanic did) that it would start if cranked with the accelerator fully pressed - you might want to try this when you next get the problem.

Thank you I'll try this. Is there a way of cleaning or sorting the metering head? Did you know what part it is that could be the problem? Thanks m8.

Thank you I'll try this. Is there a way of cleaning or sorting the metering head? Did you know what part it is that could be the problem? Thanks m8.

I initially gave mine a spray round with carb cleaner, but it only really resolved when I bought a replacement (2nd hand) off ebay.

wet battery shouldnt cause it

ive always found my kr very funny if you dont start it right first time or stall it when cold it can be alkward to restart

id go with a good service , new plugs , dizzy cap etc ..and if it does happen again try starting it with your foot flat on the accelerator

Thanks for the comments people. I don't think there is another serviceable part I can do its had new everything. The only think I haven't played with is the metering rail. I might open it and give it a good clean out. What you said is spot on tho. Mine does it on cold start and if it's not done right first time.

yeah try it with ur foot flat on the floor next time it does it , mines always restarted but a few times its took long enough to make me think it wouldnt

Car fired up after about 30 turns, was spluttering to start. Had foot to the floor and now it's fine . Deffo the problem with the fuel rail. Does anybody know what it actually is tho? Might get it services or fixed? Appreciate the help as always :)

I don't think old injectors help, they tend to not atomise the fuel very well particularly on starting and at idle when they get over 80k on them, even if on a warm engine at part or full throttle it drives well.

Also, the position the engine stops in can affect starting, sounds odd, but given that the cold start injector sprays into the end of the inlet manifold one cylinder can get all the extra fuel and make the starting hard and rough, sometimes requiring a few blips of the throttle to smooth things out.

its probably a combination of things, but you can check idle spray patterns, smoothness of metering head plunger, fuel pressures, idle emissions/CO and on but it takes time.