Jim Bowen

Replacing fuel lines?

Since I've done everything else I was looking at the fuel lines and thought they looked past it.

The hard plastic ones that run under car are still ok. But where they join to fuel filter the rubber parts could do with replacing.

I was hoping to just replace it with some new stuff but there are crimped joins onto the rigid plastic bits. Not sure how to remove them and then connect a rubber hose to it.

Have seen people running a hard copper type pipe under the car instead of the plastic.

Also one of the black hoses at rear of car had some sort of inline valve.

Will try and get pics up to explain.

Crimped fitting on hard line under car. 20150506_193729.jpg

Want to replace the rubber parts on this bit. 20150506_193710.jpg

Valve bit?20150506_193719.jpg

buy a crimping set, or take it to someone like pirtek who'll do it for you, i did the former when replacing mine.

meant to add, the existing metal crimps can be carefully hack sawed through to split open, do carefully to avoid damage to plastic pipe obviously :)

EDIT : didnt see your post at the time aide ;)

i kinda did the same thing to mine, just carefully cut the metal crimps off with a grinder/or hacksaw and thats it, the plastic ends {under the crimp and rubber} has a metal liner to take compression, basically the same as whats found in the engine bay , my crimp was so badly corroded it didnt take much cutting, that valve bit , im not 100% sure but i would say its a non return valve , not much else it could be ...

iv just used nylon braided PTFE core AN-6 in my engine bay as my old {less then 2years!!!} hose was perished and leaking already! check out the specs of it, blady good stuff!

oopps original link i posted was for a different hose!! heres the actual stuff http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AN-6-8mm-5-16-NYLON-Braided-PTFE-Teflon-Fuel-Hose-1m-/381023190970?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item58b6c07fba

Edited by VW_OwneR_85

Did you use the PTFE hose with jubliee clips? I have the tool for those banded clamps where you squeeze it together, same as the cv boot clamps.

If i cut the compression fitting off is there a raised bit on the rigid plastic pipe to help stop a jubilee coming off?

Have replaced the ones under the engine bay before but they didn't have the compression fittings.

yea i used jubilee clips as it does state on there page to use them, there hose finishers are jubilee clips, but also i couldnt find the right size spring clamp, another thing to mention is if you were to use spring clamps it would need to be a very good tight fit! as the ptfe hose is hard! also that hose is such a good tight fit that it probably seals itself without clamps but obviously you need some thing, ah forgot you got the tool for the other type clamps so not a problem ;) yea i belive there was a raised bit just like the ends in the bay :)

Cheers for the help, ordered 3m of that stuff in your link. Should get it tomorrow so will get it sorted over weekend.

without sounding like a dirty bstrd - as its a really good fit to help ease the hose on i used silicone grease on the male pipe so wont contaminate with the fuel, i also used the same hose {size AN-3} on my clutch slave hose with m12 fittings..

Just been cutting the old bits off which went well.

How did you cut the new hose neatly? Am finding it a right pain to cut. Even tried dremel. Not made a cut I'm happy to use yet. Stopped before I wasted too much hose.

tightly wrap masking tape around the cut then use a cutting disc on grinder, dremel should be ok, the tape stops it from freying out, keep tape on after its cut too, also dont forget to clean hose out , i blew them with airline, could use water with hose but need to be dryed out