leon263

New oil pressure switches fitted ........ VR6

I've had a few random oil warning light and beeper episodes recently. Normal oil and water temperatures and lack of odd noises led me to suspect that perhaps the two switches on top of the oil filter housing were on their way out. A quick look down the back of the radiator revealed that oil was acually seeping out of the top of the high pressure switch so I decided to replace both the high and low pressure switches. Both can be found on the top of the oil filter housing. The high pressure swith, on the left as you look at it, has a black top, a single spade connector and a yellow wire attached to it. The low pressure switch,on the right, has a blue top, a single spade connector and a blue wire. Access is severely limited, but on Fla's advice I removed the driver side headlamp (three screws and one connector) and that lets you get your arm in and straight at the switches. You will need a 24mm spanner and a short one is ideal. Not a tool many people will have, but luckily I found an old 15/16ths imperial ring spanner in my collection and shortened it to around 150mm. It was then only a question of removing the wires, screwing the old switches out and the new ones in. Replace the wires and the headlight and it's job done. It took less than 30 mins and the two new genuine switches cost around £30 from TPS although they can be had much cheaper on e-bay............... no warning lights during a 10 mile test drive so hopefully that's that.

Edited by leon263