fallout

G60 -89, White smoke under hood(POSSIBLY SOLVED?)

Hello,

I bought Corrado G60 -89 recently, and drove it to my home + few days to work, around 500km total. without any problems.

The car has 250k km on the clock.

Yesterday i was driving home, and the car started to smell like fuel.

Soon after this i saw white smoke coming from under the hood, i drove to parking place and let the car run, but the smoke was getting stronger, and after some minutes i saw flames on the exhaust manifold. So i shut the engine off and killed those flames.

After the engine had cooled down, i tried to run it again but after running without problems for around 5 minutes, it slowly started to smoke more and more, so i let it there.

Oil temps are not rising, staying under about 85c and engine is running well.

So as i see it the smoke is coming from between the exhaust/intake manifolds.

I have read that fuel line on top of these leaks easily, but i can not spot any leak? And i think that the smoke is coming from under the intake manifold..

Altought the "flames" were just exactly under the Pressure Regulator i think its called? which has hose fitting at the bottom.

So do you guys have any ideas? Should i first change all the fuel lines (would be good thing to do anyways i guess) or what else could be the possible fault?

Is there any possibility that something could leak from between the engine and intake manifold?

I am really stuck with this, since i havent had so many cars and i used my money for this one so atm. cant take it to expensive mechanic..

Also the car is in really good overall condition so i want to save it.

Thank you in advice!

Edited by fallout

Double check that nasty, plastic fuel rail, it's not unheard of that the bugger can split..Also check the rubber hose witch connects onto

the fuel pressure switch located on the r/h side of the rail, if it has never been changed it's probably rock hard.

Check for loose clips on that hose as well, better still, change all the old fuel hoses. Great fun trying to remove the injectors on the 8v engine, putting the buggers back in without damaging the o-rings is even more fun..

Hey and thanks for for helping me! :thumbleft:

Today i tried to run the car again and after about 5 minutes of running, it slowly started to smoke again, so i shut it off.

I checked following ones (standing in front of the car):

-Hose on the right of the fuel line

-Hose behind the intake manifold (there is one rubber hose + 1 random hose that looks really old and goes nowhere, its like 5cm piece and blocked with screw?!)

-All the hoses on the left side of the fuel rail etc.

I can not see any of these drop anything, and they all feel soft and for sure they have been changed.

I can not see behind the intake manifold, but if i stand in front of the car, the smoke comes from the left side still...

As for the injectors, i dont know how to work on them..

But isnt the fuel rail kinda in the mid of intake manifold, so if the leak would be there, could it even drop on the exhaust manifold, but on the intake manifold?

Hows the brake fluid level?

When I had my old Valver I had trouble with loads of white smoke pouring out of the end of the exhaust (but only occasionally). Turned out to be brake fluid , that was leaking out from the master cylinder.....into the booster....then every now and again would get sucked from the vacuum into the manifold.

maybe you have a leak onto the top of the exhaust manifold?

Could leak on the exhaist manifold put out so much smoke like this?

I spoke with few mechanics but they could only guess.. Head gasket or coolant leak was their bet.

I have started to think harder aswell, and the smoke doesnt smell like gasoline, not so strongly atleast.

Could this really be head gasket? Since temps are ok, coolant is ok and nothing unusual is coming out of the exhaust in the back.

Is there any spots behind the engine at that area, that could leak coolant? Other than head gasket..

Thanks again.

Also, would the head gasket be kind under the exhaust manifold, making it impossible to leak onto it? Since the smoke is coming from the middle of the exhaust/intake manifold.

Need to check injectors still.. The car is going to mechanic at next wednesday, cant wait to figure this out.

The problem might be solved!

Looks like that the cyinder head cover's gasket is leaking oil from the back left side, onto the first injector and dripping on to the exhaust manifold from there. The gasket is also leaking little bit at the left side of the engine, under the altenator belt.

I am going to buy the gasket today and try it out, hope it works!

The problem might be solved!

Looks like that the cyinder head cover's gasket is leaking oil from the back left side, onto the first injector and dripping on to the exhaust manifold from there. The gasket is also leaking little bit at the left side of the engine, under the altenator belt.

I am going to buy the gasket today and try it out, hope it works!

well found - fingers crossed the gasket works

Thanks for the help guys!

I bought new gasket and istalled it, the old one was not rubber anymore but more like hard plastic, it came off in 10 pieces and had obv. scratch where it was leaking.

After installing new gasket, i cleaned top of the exhaust manifold for 2 hours, to get all the old oil of it, now i have driven it about 200km without problems.

The gasket was 6 euros, so i am really happy!