craigg9700

Power Steering Pump Leaking fluid - Easy fix?

Hi all,

Wondering if anybody may be able to offer some advice/tips.

I currently have a leak on the power steering Pump near to where the infeed pipe attaches. After cleaning grit and oil from the pump with a rag, I managed to pin point the exact location where fluid is leaking out.

On the pics below, my finger tip points to the area where Fluid leaks when the pump is running and pressured.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81954[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]81955[/ATTACH]

any ideas why this could be leaking?

That's the pressure relief valve, I'd imagine it's stuck and the build up of pressure is causing the leak where it screws into the pump body

Hi David,

Thanks for sharing some info.

If i was to remove the top Infeed pipe, am i right in thinking this part unscrews from the Pump?

When i hook a spanner onto this ( as is now) it feels as if there is some slight play in it. Is this normal? or should the valve be bolt tight into the pump?

Cheers

Yep, remove the pressure hose union, unscrew the valve underneath and you should draw out the valve, several parts and a spring between, take note of the order of bits! withthe vvalve parts removed, stick your finger in the pump body drilling and feel for any rough marks, this will affect the valve operation

If you need ive got 2 or three bottles of vw power steering fluid unopened. Stickers are peeling off the bottles though.