shawshankkid

Alternator voltage regulator.

Hi all, I had a flat battery this morning so had alternator/ battery check...and the alternator is down. A quick question before I buy a new one. Would it be worth buying a new bosch voltage regulator and trying it first ? Or just buy a new alternator ? Whats your thoughts ? Many thanks Chris.

I had the same issue with my alternator and for the sake of 2 screws, tried a new voltage regulator and it was just the same. It's still worth paying £10 for a new regulator before splashing the cash on an alternator.

I ended up buying a recon alternator and now have one of these from ebay to keep an eye on things (its saved me once as the 1st recon alternator went duff).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81980[/ATTACH]

Edited by MZpog

Take the 2 screws out, look at the carbon brushes, if there's soot on the shortest one then its arcing across to the slip ring because its worn too short for a proper connection.

Inspect the slip rings for deep scoring or even patches worn through to the fibreglass.

If you decide to try a brush pack allow the brushes to wear in to the groves on the slip rings before condemning the alternator, its a bit like fitting new pads to used disks, they don't give full performance until they've bedded in a little

Should I get a bosch regulator or just get a cheap febi one you think ? Thanks chris.

I've used all sorts just fine.

Thanks for all the replies guys.....need a bit of advise please, I'm not entirely sure it's the alternator, I charged the battery overnight on a trickle charger and then left it in the garage.the next evening I tried to start it it was dead again, any ideas ? Get a new battery ? Thanks chris.

You can drain a battery to the point a home charger will not boost it up again.

Fit and fling diagnostics is expensive, you need to do some tests with a multimeter to diagnose the problem.

Make sure the battery connections are good, follow them to there opposite ends at the starter motor and the gearbox bellhousing making sure all are clean tight and connected

My alternator was also playing up awhile ago. I,d also recommend changing the regulator best thing I did and changed bushes at the same time. While I was at it gave the alternator a good clean serviced the adjuster bearings and fitted a new drive belt at the same time.

Thanks for all the help, it turned out it was the battery ! Never take the word as gospel from a garage, I got a second and third opinion and glad I did, bought a fuller 5 year guarantee battery. All is good now thanks.