delfinis38

VR6 Exhaust Silencer

before I get something fabricated up, I'm after an original VR6 silencer in A1 condition or that's going to last 10+ years. Its the silencer after the CAT.

I have a new spare walker one but really would like an original or I will get my mate to make one up in stainless.

my current one has a bit of rust round the end cans... its not blowing but not really that pretty.... so I guess it must be rust free....

currently obsolete at VW and vw heritage... like most parts these days.

Are you looking for the centre box or the resonator pipe that sits between the centre box and the cat?

Resonator between the centre and the cat.... I bought a very expensive oem centre box and rear a few years back that's mint.

It's the one that looks like a sausage.

Ok. Can't help there unfortunately but keep us posted on how you get on as I'm looking for that centre pipe myself as mine was binned when the miltek was fitted. Cheers.

@delfinis38 - I believe the part# for the front silencer/resonator pipe section on the VR6/ABV is 535253209

Sounds about right.... I have a pattern walker as a spare.. But really want an orig... My mate said he would make me one in stainless, when he's not mega busy... He builds exhaust for motor sport industry.

Like all these things should of bought one a few years ago.... I managed to buy the rest of the exhaust for silly money. Could of bought nearly two stainless systems for what I paid for it.

Wondering if the 16v one is the same... I know it's longer. But could cut the ends pipes down. I have access to a hydraulic exhaust end former.

Maybe some one with a 16 v one could measure the silencer, the overall length. And pipe diameter.

Edited by delfinis38

I looked at getting a new exhaust to get back to standard from a Milltek and at the time (about two years ago) both the resonator pipe, center box and back box were all available either from VAG or through Classic Parts, but at about €1500 for the lot. You also need to drop the rear beam (do your bushes at the same time) or cut the exhaust to fit, as the two suitcase sections come as one part. I didn't go for it in the end due to lack of funds, but now regret it and would in hindsight have not got rid of the original exhaust and put on a Milltek. It sounds nice, but leaks a bit and requires regular tightening, causes some extra vibration/drone in certain gears and does not have the front silencer/pipe in it. If I could get hold of one (hint, hint, maybe your mate can make two ;)) I'd definitely look at putting that pipe back in.

Just my experience.

Was wondering if this off a 16v was the same length silencer and diameter.

If the pipes are the right diameter could chop them down and expand one end.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-CORRADO-FRONT-EXHAUST-SILENCER-BOX-357253209A-NEW-GENUINE-VW-PART-/381415788577?hash=item58ce271021

Any thought please from 16v owners... Or anyone with a crap one for me to experiment.

Will have a chat to me mate later in the week... I'm not desperate but want to sort something before it starts blowing.

I split my new exhaust where it went over the beam and put a sleeve in.

Edited by delfinis38

I looked at getting a new exhaust to get back to standard from a Milltek and at the time (about two years ago) both the resonator pipe, center box and back box were all available either from VAG or through Classic Parts, but at about €1500 for the lot. You also need to drop the rear beam (do your bushes at the same time) or cut the exhaust to fit, as the two suitcase sections come as one part. I didn't go for it in the end due to lack of funds, but now regret it and would in hindsight have not got rid of the original exhaust and put on a Milltek. It sounds nice, but leaks a bit and requires regular tightening, causes some extra vibration/drone in certain gears and does not have the front silencer/pipe in it. If I could get hold of one (hint, hint, maybe your mate can make two ;)) I'd definitely look at putting that pipe back in.

Just my experience.

blimey that is not the best experience. it must be frustrating having to keep monitoring the exhaust

1500 euro is a huge amount to outlay for an exhaust that would have no warranty

I got a 2.5" stainless system from downpipe back with a hi flow CAT & a lifetime warranty that goes with the exhaust itself & not the purchaser for £400 all in & custom fitted

the result is absolutely awesome & I never have to worry about the exhaust again

Longlife systems - worth a look ;)

@delfinis - the non-VR6 pipes are different in ETKA - basically the same as MKII Golf GTI ones,but I haven't seen one in the flesh so can't comment on flaring the ends etc.

I'd agree with all original - much more refined than the aftermarket ones. You also don't have to polish them as much ;)

I'd go back to OEM if I could afford it and was able to find the parts. I'm at 86K miles, so my original system probably wasn't even that bad in the first place.