Sign in to follow this  
daves16v

Rear axle bush tool?

Was there a photo/details of a rear axle bush fitting tool floating around on here somewhere?

I need to change my bushes and was thinking of making up a tool at work or several if anyones interested.

Dave

ill try to take a pic of the one I made, but for now , ill give a description

it basically consists of a threaded bar, and a shaped 8mm thick peice of steel the same shape as the outside surface f the bush, the threaded bar goes through this shaped "washer" and through the bush then through the beam,

a large (2" 3/4 inch drive) socket is put in the beam end of the bar and a nut and a washer, grease the new bush up and the threaded bar and turn the nut on the beam end , this will pull the new bush squarely into the hole,

as i say i will try to post up a pic of my tool, it works excellently,,, :D

tool only refits, for removal, cut the flanged end off of the bush and drill all the rubber out of the inside, drift out with a large hammer, its best to remove the beam completley when doing this job as it saves you hitting things when the beam is still attached to the car, also gives you a good chance to paint the beam up!!

time? a few hours, depending on how brake pipes undo etc,,