Sign in to follow this  
aposegil

16v twin carb'ed for those who have done it :)

Hello guys

after a long discussion with my mate about converting his car to a g60 etc he decided to leave it alone but go with a different setup.

Luckily someone on this forum has what he needs so he is now going to go 16v twin weber or dellorto setup

Basically what we need to know is which would be the best carb's to go for???

We will be dropping the rad down so nice clean air is always getting to the carbs along with running a heat reflecting plate under the carbs so when the fan come on all the hot air goes under/around them

Also what clutch would be the best to go for as he will still be using his driver gearbox???

and so you guys get a idea the car only used at weekends and sometimes during the week so he is not very bothered about economy etc he just wants something nippy ;)

thanx in advance

no carb expert btw alex................but will you not also need to have some sort of warm-air source to prevent carb-icing?????

dont worry the guy so anal :roll: that he prod make a cover for them lol

plus he does have the option of leaving the car in a garage :)

dont worry the guy so anal :roll: that he prod make a cover for them lol

plus he does have the option of leaving the car in a garage :)

aye but its not just winter that carb icing is a problem..... :wink:

thats what i thought but never run a car on big carbs so cant really comment lol

also out of interest which ones did u run weber? or dellorto?

alex,as i said before i'm no carb expert etc....but IIRC carb icing isn't really to do with the ambient temp so much as more to do with moisture in the carb(pretty sure its this) evaporating very quickly and "icing" the carb......but its been well over 14 years since i last had a carb'd motor so kinda forgot the reasons why they Iced up.......maybe as Dazzyvr6 says its not a problem on bigger carbs but my old Fordie VV carb was a total nightmare for it especially once i had a K&N filter on!!

Yup carb icing is nothing to do with the ambient temp, like vr6storm mentioned, you can suffer with carb icing during the summer months :shock:

cool Ive told my mate about this and he saidhe already know about it and not a prob :D

p.s his boss owns a classic car rentals and has a few E-types there etc ;) ;)