8vMatt

Euro Banger Rallies

My buddy and I are thinking of taking part in one of those banger car rallies that drive through a bunch of countries in a few days or so next year. We are looking at a hairdressers MX5 for a bit of rwd fun.

Has anyone taken part in one in the past? Stories and experiences are what I'm after here. It does look like a blast, any negatives the websites don't tell you?

Thanks in advance.

There was someone on here (I think it was this forum) that did it a couple of years ago with a couple of mates. They did it in a 5 series as it provided practicality and comfort. I think the rally specified it had to be all in and roadworthy etc for under a grand too, so it was trying to find something as bulletproof as that for the money.

I did Benidorm or Bust this year in a Hyundai Coupe V6 that we bought from ebay with a MOT that ran out 3 days after the end of the rally. We fixed the drivers door lock and passenger side electric window (to pay tolls) and that was it.

We stickered the car up, but didn't make any external modifications which turned out to be very lucky in hindsight. The entire rally was really good with some amazing banter on the road and every evening as everyone was staying in hotels very close together.

Everything was good until the last day in Spain, we'd had to pass our details on to the local town hall to avoid the problems in previous years with people abandoning cars in Benidorm and flying home. The Spanish police stopped a lot of cars on the rally and were issuing fines for any external modifications. Some people had admittedly gone to town, the 'Caterpillar' BMW with half an oil drum on the front as a 'shovel' got fined quite a few hundred euros. Our car looked very tidy from a distance (most people couldn't believe we were going to scrap it) so we didn't get stopped but it was nerve racking for most of the last day.

I'd recommend it, it was certainly an experience. I'd recommend a barge, or something that will cruise comfortably at the 130kph speed limit. A GPS with european maps is invaluable. You'll have a great time.

Neil

After scrapping the hyundai and flying home a colleague spotted it on the Spanish equivalent of gumtree a month later for 2000 euro, but that's another story.