Mccorrymark

Bonnet cable help

CFEF4748-414C-4B85-9A5B-EBC55AC14781_zpshjge6vsf.jpg

This clip has broke on my bonet cable can this be replaced on its own and where the hell would I find one I can't seem to see how the old one cud come off without either cutting it or cutting the cable as it doesn't fit over the head of the cable

Thanks mark

The only way to get it off would be to disconnect it at the bonnet latches then pull the steel cable right through into the cabin. Fit new clip then feed it back through. But yeah no idea about getting the clip on its own, it would usually come as part of a new cable. Maybe try and find a second hand cable off a breaker.

Even a second hand cable seems to be £60 ffs might have to make something up for it I can get a ford clip (hate saying that word on a Vw thread) for £8 looks the same to me might be an option or I seen an American company makes an alloy one for $45 that can be fitted with the cable still in place and shud never break again long term best option but I've spent so much on the vr6 not sure I can justify spending more on it atm haha

The original VW clip was part of the cable when it was new and originally was available on its own so that you could repair a broken one although it meant taking the cable out completely to fit it as mentioned. That particular clip is no longer available, nor has it been for a number of years, so it's now a case of coming up with some way of securing the outer cable in place. There are some solutions available from the States as you have discovered. If you do a search on Google Images for 'Corrado bonnet cable repair' you will find numerous solutions that others have come up with which might give you some ideas.

Thanks need to get it fixed as I had to rip of the front grill (naf badge less one I was replacing anyway) in order to pull bonet cable by hand not sure the mot men in Northern Ireland will approve of this method haha